Transfering money

Cici

I have read the various posts relating to the transfer of large sums of money (for house purchase)- I wondered if there were any one has any recent comments on the reliabiltiy of companies such as XE.com....having never used a currency exchange house I am a little wary of relying on them.

I would be grateful for any thoughts - thank you

CiCi

Hi

I am in the same position at the moment. Xe.com seem to offer the best rates. But Currencies4less.com are also good, beating my bank rate substantially. Both will offer technical help if you are not familiar, by email or by phone. However, be SURE to read their terms and conditions, as once you have fixed the contract, you're locked in. Negotiate with them if you are going for a forward plan. I feel I could have squeezed a better rate from C4L if I had been quicker off the mark.

Toast

We used HIFX and they were fine . Transferred money for deposit and balance for the purchace of our house last October and then transferred the remainder to our French Bank Account. No problems at all. Minumum of 5000 needs to be changed.

Which companies are giving the best rate at the moment? I think we will need some more changes and haven't checked the rates.

Gaynor

• 2 weeks later...
Last week I went to my local NatWest (they usually do a good exchange rate and I always get better than the tourist rate) and I transferred 1000 to my Britline (CA) account. I paid 14 up front for the services and so I didn't expect any charges for 1000 worth of euros going into our account. I was livid today when I discovered Britline had charged me 13 euros for just paying it into my account and 13.5 euros for a euro rate exchange. How can they justify this? Altogether it has cost me over 30 to get 1000 into my account. Normally I only pay CA 26 euros if I send them a sterling cheque.

I don't see any point in complaining since Mr. Vincent Gray has never replied to an e-mail I have sent him. I suppose I shall have to vote with my feet. Does anyone know what the CA in Vire is like?

Valerie

>I would be grateful for any thoughts - thank you
>
>CiCi

On a house purchase as opposed to say 1000 for the year's bills I would be much more worried about the financial strength of the business I was using. I think the last time a bank licensed to take deposits in UK went broke was BCCI which must be over 15 years ago. Are the companies owned by banks ? Has anybody checked on their finacial position before trusting them to transfer the money ? Is their financial position guaranteed by anybody ?