Declaration d'achevement de travaux and Attestation de conformite ?

Hi all..

3 Years ago I bought a barn/remise and converted it into a dwelling with all the permis etc..

I have just read this on a web site :

"If you've converted a barn or a cave into a house you have to pay

TVA. I admit that I don't know exactly what it's paid on but you do

have to pay it. Check with your architect, builder, or notaire.

For

any work that you have done under a permit de construire you will need

to make a declaration d'achevement and submit it to the Mairie. They in

turn send it to the DDE who sends someone to inspect the work and then

issue an attestation de conformite."

Does anyone know what the implications of this are? I'm not in France right now, so going to the Mairie is a bit difficult right now..

Many thanks

Put simply.....

When the work is completed you notify the authorities using the form you received with the original permission.

Once that form is submitted the clock starts ticking for the VAT.

If you sell within five years of the notified date of completion VAT at 19.6% will be deducted from, the sale proceeds less any /most of the VAT you paid out during the construction  process.

It is easy to overlook/forget this form as it arrives with your planning permission! We were reminded by our local Mairie recently (building work finished last June after 3 years hard graft!!) and promptly submitted the back-dated form. We had already submitted the building tax form and paid the required amount, as they send you a form each year until you have finished renovating but they do not inform the authorities at the DDE!!

[quote user="Moorejw"]It is easy to overlook/forget this form as it arrives with your planning permission! We were reminded by our local Mairie recently (building work finished last June after 3 years hard graft!!) and promptly submitted the back-dated form. We had already submitted the building tax form and paid the required amount, as they send you a form each year until you have finished renovating but they do not inform the authorities at the DDE!![/quote]

Explains why I haven't had a form throught he post! I will fininsh in a couple of months.. Did anyone actually come and inspect? (I've been told that they don't and asume everything has been done correctly).. And what are they looking for? Is it  a "building Controls" type of thing (ie. is the construction up to spec) ?

And what do you mean about the building tax form? I am paying "Taxes D'ubanisme" (Taxe locale d'equipement, Taxe Dep. pour le C.A.U.E & Taxe des espaces naturels sensibles) based on the permis and square metres, in two installments - one of around €450 2 years ago and a second one due in 2009 of €300. Is this it?

Thanks

I've never seen an H1 ? The main builder finished a year and a half ago and his factures all charged TVA at 5.5% on all his work. Work since has been done by ourselves & friends. I've found the Declaration d'achevement form(s) (I have 3!) and a declaration d'ouverature de chantier forms (I can't remember if I ever submitted one of these or not, but I have 2). An H1 I can't remember ?

If you send the declaration d achevement to the Marie you eventually ( AKA pretty quick) receive an H1 to complete from the Hotel des Impots.

Trade off is the earlier you fill in the H1 the sooner you can sell without TVA at 19.6% but the higher your rates bill is in the interim

So the H1 is the form I've returned a couple of times saying that the work isn't finished yet (for Taxes Hab & fonc) ? This then gets sent again when a declaration d'achevement finally goes in and you begin paying the two taxes from that date ? Surely this is fixed and dependent on all the details about your property (size etc..) and is then payable monthly etc ?

I was also inteeested whethey anyone from the DDE does actually come and visit - I've heard not ?

Thanks