Pay Tax in the UK or France?

I am confused by this. When I contacted the UK tax authorities I was advised that as I am domiciled in the UK any tax from property abroad must be paid in the UK. Postings I have read on this site suggest the tax should be paid in France.

If the income is declared in both Countries how do you avoid paying tax in both jurisdictions? (There are supposed to be laws to prevent this.)

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this one?

(Also posted under Gite owners - tax on gite income)

If you earn money (rent) in France then you declare it to the French authorities, no legal option to do otherwise. If you are still liable to prepare a UK form you then declare it again on there and will be given credit for any tax already paid in France.

I have researched this and it appears that uk rental income is still taxed in uk, you will not pay tax in France as there is a 'double tax' treaty.

You still divulge the amount you earn to the French authorities and this is so they can have a base figure should you have any further income in France- so they can charge you at the correct income tax band, and also I believe so they can calculate the Couverture maladie Universelle which is at 8%.

Is it all clear now Musicmonkey? I've done it for the first time this year as a UK resident and it really is quite painless. Do ask again if you need clarification on anything. One thing not mentioned on this thread (although it's probably elsewhere) is that if the rent is paid in Sterling then you need to phone the Centre des Impots des Non-Residents in Paris and ask for the official exchange rate to use. If you're declaring income for the 2003 year the rate was 1 Euro = 0.7048.