Joining Britline - visiting France rule

Tonyfuller

We are now getting doewn to the admin of moving to France and want to open a Britline account.

Has anybody fallen foul of their rule on visiting France during the last six months? We were last there in September and won't be going out again until this September but we're not sure how strict they are on this particular rule - paperwork is fine, just need to sort this bit.

Thanks

Tony Fuller

What rule is this? Although I've never used Britline I know a lot of people who have, and they have never mentioned any restrictions on travel to France. I'm sure there must be a good reason, but it does sound rather strange.

I am sure a lot of forum users would be interested if you could explain further, Tony.

Thanks

Will (50)

Tha application form for a Britline Account asks for proof of French property purchase (if applicable) or proof of visits to France within the last 6 months e.g. copy of travel documents (not internet booking), or bank statements showing card payments in France etc.

Seems pretty clear to me and her - we booked our ferry crossing via the internet so that scuppers that and whilst we did use our cards last year, that was over 6 months ago.

And the rider at the ends says that if you are unable to provide any of the above items (list of 9) the application will be returned to you.

Tony Fuller

• 2 months later...
We have just opened a Britline account. We last visited france in 2003 and are going again (house hunting) this month. They were happy to accept a copy of our booking for this year as proof of visiting.

We rang them first as we were also confused about the 'all has to be just right' statement.

Hope this helps

Hi Guys

We seem to be stuck in something of a black hole/catch 22 position with the application.

Jenny has made the application and she has used her bank account with Barclays for a reference. She has plenty of money in the bank, has never been overdrawn, does all her banking on-line, has plenty of those pot things for seperate parts of her financial empire and has plenty of money going through the account and plenty on deposit.

Barclay's idea of a reference is a few lines saying that 'this person has an account at this branch/within this group' and that seems to be it. Britline seems to want more but this evening we have received a note (sort of a comps slip) from Britline with a compliments slip from Barclays saying 'this is all that we provide' and that's it.

Has anybody else been through this with Barclays and if so, PLEASE, how did you get through it with Britline?

Tony Fuller

Hi question why britline?There are loads of banks in france.To me britline ask for too much info,yes they have an english speaking staff and yes they charge you loads to have a french bank account,some people are ok with that.Try banque de bretagne if you are in brittany opened an account with them in ten minutes showed passport, proof of address in france that was it!Yes all french banks charge for having an account but not as much as britline!Been there done that...