Opening a bank account from the UK?

Herring_Brother

We're just in the process of opening an account with Britline as I felt our French wasn't good enough to cope with non-English speaking staff... We sent our application (with the many millions of pieces of information requested) on the 17th October and had our telephone 'interview' today (8th November). I gather we still have a few weeks to go before we receive cheque book and bank cards so I'm not holding my breath that it'll be before we go to the notaire in the next week or two! They did say that our account was approved and just needs more paperwork before they send us our stuff (which means we'll be able to use 24hr petrol pumps - yippeee!).

They've been very helpful and pleasant but of course we've not had any financial dealings with them yet.

I opened my Britline account by post and 6 months down the line have had no problems with it... apart from the rather strict limits on the amount of MY money they are prepared to let me spend! By default it seems that a maximum of 300 euros can with withdrawn in cash per week and something like 1800 euros can be spent using the debit card per month.

I suppose these are anti-fraud measures and they do have the added advantage of stopping one going completely mad when presented with an unexpected 'retail opportunity'!

I haven't bothered to get these limits changed as it was only when I was making initial one-off purchases to equip my kitchen with appliances that this became an issue. Still worth being aware of.

Stephen.

You can get your debit card limit raised, either temporarily or permanently, by telephone, or at least you could.

The only limit on writing a cheque is the fund available in your account.

Most stores have cheque writers if like me, your French is not up to writing a French cheque.

My advice on those 24 H petrol pumps - don't use the ones that actually take the card inside the machine to read the card details - just use the ones where you can still pull your card out at any moment.  I used a "card swallower" in Super-U and it mashed my card.  I tried to get it out using my Swiss Army knife, but to no avail.  The following day I went to reclaim it, but Super-U refused to give it to me unless I paid EUR400 for the repair of their machine - they claimed that I had broken it.  So I had to cancel my French cash card - a lot of hassle for the 2 weeks+ I had to wait for a replacement.

So now - always the swipe at Champion for me!

[quote]My advice on those 24 H petrol pumps - don't use the ones that actually take the card inside the machine to read the card details - just use the ones where you can still pull your card out at any mome...[/quote]

Good advice about munching machines - thank you! Couldn't face more beaurocracy...

Hi there

My experience of CCF is bad. They are lazy snobs to say the least who want the creme de la creme of clients but do not wish to do anything to obtain them. I sent one of their introduction forms back but omitted some details as it was for a company and not for me personally and their attitude as been awful. If that is what their customer service is like when trying to attract new business I hate to think what it is like for customers. They can keep their rotten attitude of you ask me.

Marie

Finally got the application pack (although the dog got there first, so it's a bit perferated (sp?)).

Can't believe the amount of paperwork they require, P60's bank statements, letters from the bank, utility bills, deeds to the house, souls of your first born etc - ok, not the last 2, but you get the picture, could take forever.

Matt