Bad feelings

Hi All,

have any forum users experienced any bad feelings from French Resi's?   you know "bloody foreigners moving over here, buying all our houses, taking all our jobs, drinking all our good wine" (we all know they only export the rubbish and keep the best for themselves)

I have been on holiday many times and to many different areas of France (and love it) and only ever experienced kindness and friendliness (apart from, maybe Paris) but it's different to living there

I've heard stories of British aircraft workers getting lots of hassle in Toulouse is this just an isolated incident or does it happen a lot

Franc o

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there mite be alot of brits living and working in toulouse because the airbus company is there. its final assembly for A380 and someone said they will be busy again after the delays, so there mite be alot of brits going over there, maybe theres abig surge happening at the moment at toulouse

There are few UK workers in Toulouse and loads of French but there are not loads going over there.  Quite frankly do we really have to discuss this topic all over gain, do a search frank o, it has been discussed over and over and over and over.  If you want to read it do search.

Just a matter of interest am I the only one who gets pissed off by people who cannot be bothered to punctate their posts?

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

Just a matter of interest am I the only one who gets pissed off by people who cannot be bothered to punctate their posts?

[/quote]

No Ron, you're certainly not the only one.  It drives me mad & actually hurts my eyes trying to read it. I know my spelling & punctation are not great - but I do try my best, so it's readable.

[quote user="franc o file"]

I have been on holiday many times and to many different areas of France (and love it) and only ever experienced kindness and friendliness (apart from, maybe Paris) but it's different to living there

[/quote]

We've experienced the same since living here - friendliness, openness and smiles.  We've never been blanked or ignored, although there were some blank looks on both sides in the early days when our French wasn't up to speed.

Actually, that's not quite right.  There was one local woman who blanked us early on - turned out she is English but has lived here donkey's years with her French husband and four kids.  She's friendly enough now, though. 

I think that maybe early on she was thinking "Oh no, Brits - if I talk to them I'll never get rid of them." [:D]

We haven't had any hostility at all. When we have met anyone for the first time in our village, they have been genuinely pleased and proud that we have chosen 'their' village to live in. 

It may well be discussed behind the scenes, but if they don't like us, they disguise it well !

have any forum users experienced any bad feelings from French Resi's?   [/quote]

Yes, but with good reason!

1. English who buy in a village and adopt an attitude of "Couldn't give a damn - it's my house and I'll do what I like".

2. English who enjoy stating "In England we do/don't ...... (Meaning, "I have no intention conforming"!)

3. English who are daft enough to think they know better than the French!

Oh, I could go on and on!

You could be right.  In that case:

"All the French detest all foreigners and you should not believe anyone who says otherwise.  Stay in the UK."

I hereby waive all rights to this post.  No attribution or remuneration required.

[:-))][quote user="Cassis"]You could be right.  In that case:

"All the French detest all foreigners and you should not believe anyone who says otherwise.  Stay in the UK."

I hereby waive all rights to this post.  No attribution or remuneration required.
[/quote]

[:-))]

Cassiso:

all foreigners stay in the UK? me italiano, you wanta me inta de UK?

[quote user="Cassis"]You could be right.  In that case:

[/quote]

When you signed-up to the forum the T&Cs for a different web site said you "you warrant to all us that all content that you submit will be accurate, truthful and not misleading in any way".[Www]

Anyway, the truth is that in France you are expected go round roundabouts the opposite way to how/what you do when in the UK (like bathwater turns a different way round a plug hole in Australia than in the UK). It is differences like that that are really important and should be published without delay (next issue !!)

Ian

I live opposite the Airbus factory in Northern France, approx 1500 employees, no brits, I think one German the rest native French, in 2 years I have yet to meet an English speaker who works there although as I speak French they are less likely to try.

No anti brit bad feeling but lots of unrest recently in the run up to the power 8 announcement, several strikes, parades along the road and loads of media attention.

I feel relatively secure here despite being a foreigner, if the industrial unrest escalates I accept that there may be a risk to my property but only because I would be in the thick of any action, not because I am British.

Thanks to all who bothered to respond with constructive info (i thought thats what these forum thingys were about).

I appologise, wholeheartedly, to those who found my punctuation a chore.

I apologise,wholeheartedly, to those who have seen this question on the forum before but would it not be easier to ignore the question than to be snide? We can't all be computer geniuses who spend all day trawlling through the forum, looking for things to gripe about.(some of us have jobs and lives)

The next step is people start pulling people up about their spelling "use the spell check", "check your spelling", if its too difficult to understand, DON'T RESPOND the world won't stop because you have'nt given your opinion (or not in most cases, just griped)

Thanks to the helpful users, to the gripers, I'll get me coat!

Hi Franc.

It seems some posters thought you had posted the question before, and then not returned to respond to the answers.

Another possibility is that the question has been asked recently by someone else entirely.

If the second example is true then some people were harsh in their responses to you.

Question for members? How is a new member to know whether a question like this has been covered?

It's not as though the search function here is intuitive or efficient (unless you are me, of course.[:D][;-)] ).

Thanks to all who bothered to respond with constructive info (i thought thats what these forum thingys were about).

I appologise, wholeheartedly, to those who found my punctuation a chore.

I apologise,wholeheartedly, to those who have seen this question on the forum before but would it not be easier to ignore the question than to be snide? We can't all be computer geniuses who spend all day trawlling through the forum, looking for things to gripe about.(some of us have jobs and lives)

The next step is people start pulling people up about their spelling "use the spell check", "check your spelling", if its too difficult to understand, DON'T RESPOND the world won't stop because you have'nt given your opinion (or not in most cases, just griped)

Thanks to the helpful users, to the gripers, I'll get me coat!

[/quote]

Most of the things you are apologising for have naff all to do with your post, (hint read the second one) so who is the griper?  Cry when you are hurt franc. 

Just because people could not be arsed to reply in great length or detail, just as you could not be arsed to do a search before posting your "I wonder" that does not make their responses snidey.  If you wanted positive and constructive responses why say "dish the dirt?"  If as you say you have a job and a life why are you wasting it on here?