Checking Land Boundaries

f1steveuk

I may have recalled this totally wrong!!

I have a recollection that during a conversation about checking land boundaries for properties in France, there was a website, official or otherwise, where you you could check the boundaries using a composite of the registry map, gps and satelite mapping, on line. Is this wishful thinking on my part, or do I remember this correctly?

Usually there is a cadestral map with the deeds, if you have them handy, assuming you are talking about your property.

If the plan has not been established then you will have to get the land surveyed, the cost of which could be divided with a neighbour or a buyer/seller.

It is all much more accurate these days as it is done using satellites, so it can be very accurate. There used to be a margin for error, not sure if there is still or what it is.

Yes, we have the notaires folder with the map included. We re just trying to work out who is responsible for the maintainance of some trees that could be ours, coulb be nextdoors! One boundary of  our property is a steep slope/near cliff and we are trying to work out if we own up to the top edge, or the bottom of the slope/cliff!! Logic decrees it should be the top, but as they can erode away, where does the boundary go then!!

The boundary is immovable, the élévations may change but the boundary does not.

The géometre will have access to far more accurate dimensions than you can scale from the plan cadastre, they are planar geometry co-ordinates that take into account élévations and the curvature of the earth,

[quote user="Chancer"]

The boundary is immovable, the élévations may change but the boundary does not.

The géometre will have access to far more accurate dimensions than you can scale from the plan cadastre, they are planar geometry co-ordinates that take into account élévations and the curvature of the earth,

[/quote]

They do have the plan, but they can get it wrong too! One of our boundry marking bornes is a couple of metres out, to our detriment, and as the neighbour concerned is a complete a r s ehole it's a problem and we are going to have to get another geometre in to contest it.

We have the original plan and the clown who got it wrong has admitted that it's correct, but the borne hasn't been moved, yet! There had even been an acusation of a 'back hander' to the erks with him, but that is just speculation you understand?

You are not alone, Jonz...

Mrs Gluey and I have precisely the same problem; for different reasons.

When we purchased the house, all those years ago, the land lying to the right and behind, was prairie used for cattle grazing.

Then a local grande legume (A paisan pomme de terre grower) who employs quite a few in the tiny 127 pop. commune and thus has mucho pull with the maire, and his poseur peasant wife came along, purchased the land from local French people we believed to be "Friends" after 12 years - another story! -  and proceeded to erect a monstrosity. How this was allowed in terms of style and impact I know not.

To point: despite enjoying loads of plot width, their farmer's natural venality and greed took over and they built immediately on our boundary; nice. Even moving our newish cattle-proof fence posts as they excavated the footings. By excessively lowering their plot and levelling (both properties lie on a reasonably steep little hill, theirs above ours), they caused an innodation of our property.

The local land is noted for very high natural water table, with a clay cap which holds back outflow from aquifers. Thus our large dependance and house was flooded and caused much damage. Which our supposed French insurers (Credit Agricole - Pacifica) refused to pay for!!! I had a friend to stay, who is a Consulting Geologist and he kindly surveyed the situation and wrote an expert report. The damage was also surveyed and reported by an Hussier de Justice and report lodged.

We agreed to mutually appoint and agree upon a Experte géomètre: he suggested a local clown of whom we had already suffered a very bad experience and I suggested I was talking to another some distance away.

When we returned, having asked for a meeting with this firm, we discovered it was a stitch up.

The farmer had already instructed the géomètre, alone, had the survey completed (when were absent) and then expected Mrs G and I would sign a complex document in French and furthermore, pay 50% of the bill! [:@]

I was invited to watch the ceremony of the planting of the pointes de bourne. And carefully observed position.

When we again returned, they crafty s.o.b. had moved the rear point, to behind our boundary in two directions! In order to dig trenches for their whizzy ground source heating slinky tubes. And proceeded to construct a carport on our terroire...and a wall.

Moving a bourne point in France after it has been planted by a certified
géomètre is apparently a criminal offence.

By which time I consulted and appointed an advocat.

The beat goes on.

My advice to ANYONE considering purchasing a house in France, adjacent to farming or similar land, is to insist upon a boundary evaluation, agreed with adjacent property owners, as a clause suspensive in the compromis de vente.

Who needs this merde?

[:(]

Our old neighbours told us recently that everyone on the little  estate we used to live on, has had to get together and employ an avocat because of boundary problems. I'm glad that we moved, over the years, we already had sufficient problems with boundaries.