I wonder if anybody has experienced a lost cheque before and how to handle the situation.  We completed on our house nearly two years ago and a year ago I received some sort of refund from the Notaire for an overpayment on completion.  It was more than 300 euros so worth having and I sent it off to Britline to be credited into my account.

Apparently, according to Britline, it never arrived and I have pursued the Notaire with the help of the Agent who sold us the house for a replacement cheque for a year before he said that the reason he wasnt issuing me with a replacement was that it had been cashed.

Now what?  I hate to think that somebody else has had the nice gift of a cheque arriving in their bank account and are keeping quiet (why doesnt that sort of thing ever happen to me).  If it has taken me a year to find out the cheque has been cashed then how long is it going to take me to get any more information from the Notaire if I continue to pursue it in that direction?  Can I ask Britline to make enquiries without having much information to go on?  It frustrates me on an irregular basis as I forget it in between times but its too much money to write-off without more of a battle I think.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Caz

I would get all your bank statements together and photocopy them, you'll probably need several. Then take one set of copies and the originals into the notaires office and show them that you have not had this sum paid into your account. Don't leave the originals with the notaire, just the copy.

If the notaire isn't interested then I would tell the notaire that you are going to the gendarmerie to porte plainte. I think you will need to do this anyway.

I would also contact the CA and tell them that the notaire says that this cheque has been cashed and that you are going to porte plainte.

The CA will have copies of your bank accounts, so won't need a copy of them. But the gendarmes may well need them.

The best thing ofcourse would be if the notaire could get this cheque from their bank and then you should be able to see whose account has been credited with your money.

Thanks very much for the advice.  I hadnt given the gendarmerie a thought and I would so much rather settle it with the help of the notaire and the bank but with these things and as I am the only one with an 'interest' any more the assistance doesnt seem to be that forthcoming.

I looked at my paperwork again last night though and the cheque was for over 400 euros so I really think I do need to keep pursuing it as its not small change. I will start with the bank statements and asking CA to check their records.

Thanks again.

Caz