Borrowing money in France

napoleon

Hi all,

I have been considering ways of bypassing the French inheritance laws. It led me to wondering if we could borrow a significant amount of money using the house as security.

We have fully owned the house in France for five years and have no loans in France. Is it possible to take out a mortgage/secured loan on that property from a French bank?

We are resident in the UK and use the house for holidays only.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences in these matters or can you offer some guidance?

Thanks, Alistair

Sure, but the mortgage is not repaid by the executor of the will because main mortgages are secured by an insurance (for death and disability) and so if the borrower die, his family will have the house(because the mortgage is repaid by the insurance) AND the money

make it easy, you are implying that it is so easy to get insurance like this. When we get older the liklihood of having nothing wrong with us is reduced and it can be hard going and expensive to get such insurance.

We didn't take insurance on our last loan as the repayments were going to be high and I don't consider that my husband at least has much wrong with him.

Is this the rente viagere your are talking about?