Oil tanks

PaulT

Our house has a 1500 litre oil tank - great BUT thematerial it is made from is thick and in a dark space you cannot see through it. As there is no level gauge it is a case of climbing up, removing the filler cap, peering in and with some light getting through having my able assistant run a finger up and down until it is at the oil level. Now, I can judge how much oil there is.

Did think of two folw meters, one in the flow and one in the return and take the return from the flow to arrive at the oil used and then subtract from 1500 when the tank was filled.

Did think that if there was a dial gauge with a string and float attached to the cap a quantity could be arrived at.

Is there a solution?

[quote user="PaulT"]Our house has a 1500 litre oil tank - great BUT thematerial it is made from is thick and in a dark space you cannot see through it. As there is no level gauge it is a case of climbing up, removing the filler cap, peering in and with some light getting through having my able assistant run a finger up and down until it is at the oil level. Now, I can judge how much oil there is.

Did think of two folw meters, one in the flow and one in the return and take the return from the flow to arrive at the oil used and then subtract from 1500 when the tank was filled.

Did think that if there was a dial gauge with a string and float attached to the cap a quantity could be arrived at.

Is there a solution?[/quote]

Certainly is; in fact more than one.

Bricodepot used to sell precisely the sort of contents gauge you are seeking.

It is either a "Jauge Pneumatique télévar" or a Jauge Mécanique verticale".

Mine is an old catalogue, now: jst checked my local Bricodepot site, not listed.

However Chappie ought to have these. Standard kit on a cuve.

The last couple of tanks I've come across, one at work and one at my daughter's house, have had a thing like this.

https://www.fueltankshop.co.uk/apollo-standard/p1889

I never knew what was in the tank, but found the gauge which simply plugged into a mains socket very effective. Simple bar reader, when you get down to the last couple of bars order a refill.

Quote....

Is there a solution?

Exactly that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fully-Adjustable-Float-Gauge-IBC-Tap-Adaptor-Tank-Fitting-Oil-Water-Fuel-Gauge-/271430954923?hash=item3f328bafab:g:YE4AAOxyUgtTLA2w

Many thanks for the replies - unfortunately, we cannot use a dipstick as the ceiling is too low.

Thanks for the weblink. Also found on there:

https://www.fueltankshop.co.uk/float-type-clock-contents-gauge/p4915

which will suit our purposes and a 'little' cheaper.