TVA on Rennovation

MarkN

I am considering buying an apartment within a building that is being completely rennovated by a builder.

I have been told that if I elect to rent out my apartment for holiday lets I would be entitled to reclaim the 19.6% TVA included in the purchase price. I am also told that my rental income will have to include 5.5% output TVA.

Would anyone know if these statements are correct or are they 'half truths' just to entice me to spend more.?

Thank you in advance if this has been covered before.

MarkN

I'm fairly sure you will find that the TVA relief is only applicable if you opt for long term lets (minimum three year contract). Holiday lets (anything up to six months at a time) do not count.

For holiday letting, you do not have to register for TVA unless your income is greater than the TVA threshold which I believe is currently somewhere in the region of 72k€.

Have you tried googling 'buy to let France' ?

There are so many companies doing new builds specifically for this purpose in France, and some of their websites as are quite detailed as regards the legal aspects and how long you have to own them etc.