Removals

caro

Sorry about that, maybe I didn't explain myself very well. However, with a bit of lateral thinking, I think one could guess that I was asking about a removals company that picks up furniture in the UK and takes it to France. I know that LF mag is full of ads but it would be good to get a personal recommendation from someone. I hope I've made myself clear now, Gardian...

[Www] I think Guardian meant whereabouts in the uk are you...

we used a great company and I've pm'd you with details but they are based in Devon... so no good if you live in Manchester... although I guess if you're willing to pay?  [Www] [:$]

So can I RicandJo but, when I said so on another, similar post, no one paid any attention and the OP didn't pm or anything to ask for details.

Might as well keep schtump because, as long as I have volunteered, I have no further great desire to advice people!

Oh, for goodness sake.  This is about getting a recommendation over a removal company, not the latest scam / fraud.

These requests pop up regularly and are perfectly reasonable and important to the requestor - but really only of relevance if the recommendations are appropriate to the area. What's the point in knowing that Removal Company X from the W Mids were hopeless, if you live in Hampshire?

My last words on the subject are:

• Unlike many other professions, removers generally seem to be highly professional and don't smash up your belongings. One hardly ever hears a bad word said.
  • Having said that, some will undoubtedly be better than others, so just do your own local homework. Get several quotes, ask for references, etc,etc. Hardly rocket science.
  • Oh, and say roughly where you are.  Pseudonym X from Essex (or even as close as Basildon) hardly constitutes an invasion of privacy.

•   

People are trying to help you here! At the very least be polite!

There are terrible companies about! AND YES they do smash up furniture and worse! They will demand more money before they release your effects than you have paid for them to deliver it! If you think they are all professional, you have a lot to learn!

AND the moderators on here are very good and have a job to do! Please do not critise them!

People are trying to help you here! At the very least be polite!
There are terrible companies about! AND YES they do smash up furniture and worse! They will demand more money before they release your effects than you have paid for them to deliver it! If you think they are all professional, you have a lot to learn!
AND the moderators on here are very good and have a job to do! Please do not critise them!

I really don't know what you're referring to. I have been polite, and I said nothing critical about the moderators. I was simply responding to what someone else said. Perhaps you've misunderstood.

Hello again, Gardion. If you take the time to read any of the removal company ads in LF mag, you will see that many of them travel throughout the UK to pick up furniture. They don't just stick to the one area. It would be rather counter-productive. For example, if a removal company based in, say, Wiltshire, only worked in that area they would have to hope that the whole of Wilts decided to move to France in order to get any business! I hope you understand now. I'm beginning to wonder why you seem so keen to know where I live.

If you would only read my message properly, you would see that most removals companies will deal with people throughout the UK. Therefore it's not necessary to say where I live. OK? If you can't offer me constructive advice, like many other people have, why are you bothering to send messages to this thread???

[quote user="caro"]If you would only read my message properly, you would see that most removals companies will deal with people throughout the UK. Therefore it's not necessary to say where I live. OK? If you can't offer me constructive advice, like many other people have, why are you bothering to send messages to this thread???[/quote]

I bet she's wondering that herself now.  She gave a fair answer to a fair question.

With respect, once you've been with the forum for a while Caro, you'll find your feet and understand better how forums function.

Caro

I hope very much you have managed to find a decent company and that your move goes smoothly.  It's a few weeks since I last looked at this forum, but boy, how little changes in a few weeks!  Someone like you pops up and asks a perfectly reasonable question.  Only a nano second later you are inundated with bad tempered/trying to be clever/nothing better to do/nothing constructive or helpful to add comments.  I'm surprised you persevered - well done to you!

I'm in the middle of moving myself and am just about to make another trip with van piled high.  Please feel free to email me if you have any other "moving" related queries.

[:D]