tax fonciere on 75 m2 house

Woody

The best thing to do is ask at the Mairie, nobody on here can tell you if your tax is too high or not as it is based on rentable value and local services and amenities, existing and planned.  It therefore varies from commune to commune and department to department.  All you are likely to get is "we paid X in the Dordogne" and "we paid Y in the Charente" which is no help to you at all  Ask for the bill to be checked at the Mairie or Tresor Publique if you really think it is wrong.

thanks for advice,i did go to tresor public in partheny in deux sevres 79 and i saw the forms also they did say they can send someone round to measure up the house but i was only there on holiday,but my commune is largease if anyone is interested

It may be that the previous details on the house were out of date. My understanding is that Tax fociere is not just a matter of floor area but is a calculation based on a number of factors that supposedly represent how "nice/comfortable" the house is. I understand that it is not unusual where people have been renovating to "forget" to declare the additional improvements to the house (e.g where no permis nor declaration is required). It may be that your re-declaration has actually increased the taxable attributes for your house by more that the additional 75 sq m.

You might try asking your tax authorities (Centre des Impots Foncier) for a form "Déclaration Modèle H1". This has loads of questions about the property (floor area, number of habitable rooms, number of dining rooms, reception areas, rooms with water (bathrooms, toilets, shower rooms, etc.), what the house is made of, what the roof is made of, if you have elecricity, gas, etc., etc.), effectively allows you to do a "self-declaration".

Ian

It is perfectly correct that the figures vary wildly, between regions, between communes and even between individual properties. So unless you can find another house in the same commune that is virtually identical, there is no real base for comparison.

But my real reason for posting is one of mildly amused amazement. Though I apologise for the frivolity and am sure you have been asked many times before. Is there really a commune named 'largearse'? (or something very close to it)

I agree with the previous replies, as I have found out to my cost!

After doing some minor exterior changes for which I had to fill in a 'Déclaration de travaux', I received a H1 form from the 'Centre des Impots'.

After I completed it, the 'Taxes foncières' went up by 15%.

On querying the new tax bill, I was given a copy of the last H1 supplied by the previous owner, back in 1986, which had no mention of the central heating or bathroom... As I had also made some interior changes (demolishing cupboards, therefore increasing the space), I found myself pushed up to a higher rating by my honesty!

Next time I do any internal work, I'll be true to my French roots and keep schtum!

Last year I changed the use of this property from three flats to a house....my bill doubled!

When I went into the Impots, the last owner had declared 78m².

Half!

Thankfully, the man I saw was a very nice man.  A very nice man indeed.  No mention was made of the twelve years undervalued...

We bought a dilapadated house and a barn in the charente for less than 15000 euros.......the tax fonciere was for 950 euros!!!!! They thought the barn opposite was another house? We had to pay the bill......we asked the previous owners who said they had paid also and though it was expensive! Eventually we were reimboursed with a 300 euros cheque....I still thought this too expensive so more forms to fill in and now it's down to 222 euros per year.

[quote user="Cassis"]We used to live near a place called Pratt's Bottom in the UK. 

Also near Badgers Mount.  Well, they must do ocasionally, mustn't they?
[/quote]

My apologies for this as a first post... I am sttill reading loads and will post re my situation later...

However as a comment to the quote... both of the above place are quite near to "Fickles Hole"

(Puts on coat and leaves)