Refused credit card...

Crevette

My application for an "Oney" cashback card was refused "following a study of my dossier" and they won't say way (very conveniently for them).

I am on year three of a five year contract in France, so still paid in the UK - I wonder if this is what scared them? I sent through the many forms as requested but they wrote back to say they needed to see my "impots" payments for 2005 - which I also sent.

I have never been refused a card before in the UK - I actually had an egg card there.

I can make another application in febuary 2007 - but maybe I'll get the same response again.

I have an "inkling" that it's another case of "one rule for the French, another for the foriegners" but maybe I'm wrong...

Regards,

-Rob-

PS: Shame there is no competition in the "cashback" cards market in France.

PPS: Does anyone know if a credit check agency exists in France where you can see your credit history info - a bit like Equifax?

Hi Rob

I don't know what an "Oney" card is but I guess you're being refused because you don't have a track record in France. You've probably never borrowed money here, had an overdraft or purchased any consumer goods on credit. That's how systems like Equifax work.

You need to get back to the organisation who refused you and ask to see the organ grinder and not the monkey. All these systems can be overridden by a more senior person in authority.

Unless of course you really have been a bad boy in the past[:)].

Benjamin

[quote user="Will "]Maybe, if you are English, they somehow feel that their system might be contaminated by mad cow disease or grease from your fish and chips? (sorry to be flippant about a serious matter)[/quote]

What's the matter with you today Will?

You've already had one thread pulled today[:-))].

Benjamin

I have been with Egg since its arrival here in France. When it changed

to Oney a while back, we naturally continued with them. Best card that

I know of in France, well for what I want  card to do anyway but,

it does not always give the amount of credit some people want. We were

given more than enough for us to be happy with.

I know TU couldn't get the a high enough monthly credit amount and she had plenty of history here in France over many years.

Yes, I would send a letter to the top honcho and get Oney's reason

for not allowing you a card. What kind of Oney card did you apply for ?

[quote user="Crevette"]

My application for an "Oney" cashback card was refused "following a study of my dossier" and they won't say way (very conveniently for them).

I am on year three of a five year contract in France, so still paid in the UK - I wonder if this is what scared them? I sent through the many forms as requested but they wrote back to say they needed to see my "impots" payments for 2005 - which I also sent.

[/quote]

If you're paid in the UK, then you are fically non-resident in France?? That'll probably be why it won't be accepted. It's not a question of nationality.

On the other hand, my Frizzells credit card (who are LVBS now) was

cancelled this year (after 25 years or so) with just a months notice,

as I no longer had a UK address. It was OK until this year but then

they changed their policy ! I am still in rucks with them. I do like a

good row with the banks etc. The b*******s ...................[:)]

[quote user="hastobe"]That seems illogical - if you can get a French mortgage when non resident why not a credit card?  It should be based on your ability to pay not your residence.

Kathie
[/quote]

a french mortgage has a solid guarantee; but what guarantee does your credit card have ?????

[quote user="booboo"]

[quote user="hastobe"]That seems illogical - if you can get a French mortgage when non resident why not a credit card?  It should be based on your ability to pay not your residence.

Kathie

[/quote]

a french mortgage has a solid guarantee; but what guarantee does your credit card have ?????

[/quote]

When you have no formal valuations or surveys??   Being resident in France doesn't mean you have a good income neither does it secure your borrowings - tbh I would think a UK resident in paid employment is likely to have a far higher disposable income (and so be more credit worthy) than a French resident.

Kathie

Yes i agree; but can't see them chasing after someone with a bad debt if they're non resident. There's also the salary and tax docs that are in english and those french credit companies (and probably with their platforms in morocco...!!) are not in the know.