Which French bank???

Jilett

Janet

We use Credit Agricole and have been happy with them - although I know many people on the LF site aren't !

Our bank (as with other banks, I believe) do not charge for money transferred from UK by TAPS (Transcontinental Automated Payment Service). See a previous discussion thread on day to day transfers of money.

However, they do charge for money transferred in other ways - including via their own CA branch in London.

Mazan will be able to tell you of the benefits of using the French Post Office, as will other users about other banks !

Good luck

Chris and Martin

• 4 years later...
We've had a nightmare with opening a french bank account which still isn't resolved 6 monthes later, Our mortgage is with BNP Paribas and thought that having current account would make sense, it was organised by our mortgage broker, great we thought how easy just send all the paper work to him and he'd sort it out, our house is in Gers and the account was opened in Paris at the international branch, it still has a block on it, the cheque books have been destroyed and the only direct debit that we can set up is for the mortgage payments if you go to their website and try to phone the relevant branches its just an automated system, I couldn't find anyone who spoke English at the International Branch (my french just isn't up to fathoming out what had gone on) the guy whoes contact name we had didn't answer our emails for 6 monthes but hurrah hurrah he answered on friday , but still doesn't know whats going on and wanted a copy of our wedding certificate again(?) My advice would go to your nearest branch where there is someone you can comunicate with (English if need be) and even if they charge to transfer your money it will still be less than phone calls and hastle!!!!

[quote user="Abs Turner"]

If people use the search facility, who could be still doing it now might be interested in my experience, I'm sure the original post is now sorted, maybe not if they joined BNPparibs!!!

[/quote]

I have an account with BNP Paribas and am very happy with them. I opened it in the local town branch as that way I could go in and see them to sort out any questions and problems. I am not surprised there are difficulties when an account is held at some massive Paris branch a long way from where you live. I'd recommend moving it to the local branch and you would probably find things a lot easier.

If you hand over the decisions about opening things like accounts, etc. to a 3rd party you should probably say what your own requirements are (e.g. local branch, etc.)

You could always just open a new account in the local branch, change the mortgage direct debit to the new account and then close the International Paris branch account. I don't know if they would allow that but I'm sure your local branch manager will help you.

Ian

Abs - you hae already posted about your experience and I'm sorry things did not go well but the post 'dredged up' mentions a poster who no longer posts here, in addition many banks will have changed greatly in four years.

I am just pointing out the time lapse for those who hadn't noticed the date of the original post.