Reuters 1.9812$ to £1

Benjamin

The pound has just hit a 14 year high of 1.98$ to the pound.

What are we all doing sat here in the cold eeking out our pension money?

Why aren't we all sitting in condos in  Florida drinking Ernst & Gallio Californian red  and watching the sun set with a couple of Detroit gas guzzlers parked on the drive?

Because, Benjamin, we are British.  So, we don't like living in condos; we prefer our own house with our own gardens and no neighbours below or above us.  We have better sense than to sit in the sun all day, getting skin that looks like boot leather.  We feel guilty if we are contributing to global warming.  We don't like the way Americans talk and generally conduct themselves.  And we have a sort of Protestant mindset that says we need discomfort in life.  Do you need any more reasons?

[quote user="Cassis"]Does this mean petrol should come further down in price, being priced in dollars as it is?

[/quote]

Possibly - but usually oil companies just absorb currency fluctuations,

so personally I doubt it. Most large oil companies don't hedge currency

exposures: the sums involved are too large for banks to cope with. I

spent a few (asoundingly dull) weeks working in the teasuary dept. of a

certain major oil company as part of my corporate education, and part

of the job was to get the best rates lending cash to banks overnight so

that they could cover deposit requirements. Certainly opened my eyes as

to who had all the world's money.

[quote user="Cassis"]Does this mean petrol should come further down in price, being priced in dollars as it is?
[/quote]

With the price of a barrel of Oil having risen this evening by a massive 7%. Hopefully, it is only a temporary blob, otherwise a petrol  price rise may well be in the pipeline.

Baz

[quote user="Benjamin"]

Why aren't we all sitting in condos in  Florida drinking Ernst & Gallio Californian red  and watching the sun set with a couple of Detroit gas guzzlers parked on the drive?

[/quote]

Because Florida is drop-dead boring, it's flat - flat doesn't get any flatter than Florida, there's no scenery; on two visits, a road in central Florida that had a bend in it with a tree at the bend, constituted the best scenery we saw. France is often pretty, fairly often stunning, and nearly always interesting. The Florida climate is dreadful for three months of the year, when wealthy Floridians go to New England to get away from it. And the health system is far better in France - fancy a consultation with a doctor for $100? And that was what it cost me in 1994.

But apart from that, it's o.k.

How about a bit of sympathy for those of us who are paid (effectively) in US dollars but have expenses in Euros and Sterling.

I've had a massive pay cut in the past couple of years due to continueing weakness of the US dollar - its set my retirement plans way back  [:(]

ps. Its raining here in the UAE like you wouldn't believe - magic.  [:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]Because, Benjamin, we are British.  So, we don't like living in condos; we prefer our own house with our own gardens and no neighbours below or above us.  We have better sense than to sit in the sun all day, getting skin that looks like boot leather.  We feel guilty if we are contributing to global warming.  We don't like the way Americans talk and generally conduct themselves.  And we have a sort of Protestant mindset that says we need discomfort in life.  Do you need any more reasons?[/quote]

Just remember sweet 17....There are many Americans laying under the Normandy soil that have given you the freedom and choice to do and say that ..

[quote user="Pancake"]

[quote user="sweet 17"]Because, Benjamin, we

are British.  So, we don't like living in condos; we prefer our

own house with our own gardens and no neighbours below or above

us.  We have better sense than to sit in the sun all day, getting

skin that looks like boot leather.  We feel guilty if we are

contributing to global warming.  We don't like the way Americans

talk and generally conduct themselves.  And we have a sort of

Protestant mindset that says we need discomfort in life.  Do you

need any more reasons?[/quote]

Just remember sweet 17....There are many Americans laying under the

Normandy soil that have given you the freedom and choice to do and say

that ..

[/quote]

Not to mention Britons, Australians, Canadians, French, South Africans,

New Zealanders, Indians, Germans (I don't suppose that they wanted to

be shot, after all) and many, many others. It was a World War. A lot of

people took part. It is hardly just to complain that the death of one

countered for more than the death of the others, whatever Hollywood

might like to have us believe.

i stand humbled and corrected.  my heartfelt apologies to all americans on the forum and elsewhere.  of course, it was just a flippant remark which i did not stop to think might give a lot of offence.

i think it's the sort of remark that friends make when they are joshing each other and i certainly did not mean it to be taken seriously

possum girl, you might like to know that in private conversations, whenever americans are slated, i do tend to defend them.  after all, they ARE the most generous nation in the world and are almost always the first to step forward offering help whenever there is some sort of catastrophe; eg the tsunami

i can only apologise again for a thoughtless remark and will be more careful in future about how my "jokes" might go down with others