Writing a French cheque

Frank & Rosie

We have a French bank account with Credit Agricole (but I expect all the French bank account cheques have the same format). When completing a cheque, Just below the amount box on the right hand side there is a line starting: le (obviously for the date) and just above it a line starting: A - I believe you are to enter a town name in here. Can anyone please explain if this is meant to be the name of the town where you are residing when you write the cheque, i.e. Woking, England. We don't have this on English cheques so am rather confused - sorry if I'm sounding rather dense!

I don't think it serves any useful purpose.  Most people staying here put 'Ancinnes' but I've had Toulouse, Paris and a couple of other places when people forget and just put what they usually put when at home.  Makes absolutely no difference - after all, how would the bank know?  And why would they want to?

[quote user="Teamedup"]It isn't just cheques, when you write letters you should put the place you are writing it from as well as the date. French etiquette really.[/quote]

I wouldn't dream of sending someone a letter without my name and return address, maybe Scottish etiquette

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

[quote user="Teamedup"]It isn't just cheques, when you write letters you should put the place you are writing it from as well as the date. French etiquette really.[/quote]

I wouldn't dream of sending someone a letter without my name and return address, maybe Scottish etiquette

[/quote]

I think you are missing TU's point;

When you write a letter, you put (eg.)

Rennes, le 17 mars 2009 as well as your return address.

As TU says it's just a throwback to a time when people cared about such things....

Do you know I typed out an example and here it is:

The address I am 'using':-

5 rue des Trois Cochons

99666 Couinebourg                                                                              à   Paris le 17 Jan 07

The layout is quite different on a french letter too, one's address goes at top left hand corner. I also think that for the à and the town and date, one can put  for example ........fait à Paris le 17 Jan 07.