tax foncier and tax d,habitation

GUEPE

bonjour .i wonder if anyone can advise on these two taxes ,and when they are usually receieved and paid ?we signed the compromis de vente in january 7/1/06 got our deeds in august 06.we are both over 60 and will be moving permanent in 2 years time.so far we have recieved nothing ,the reason i am concerned is, we have moved house 3times in the uk since the compromis ,i just wonder if my bills are reclining in someones post box somewhere on bodmin moor!although we have faxed everyone concerned with new adresses ,including the notaires office .any advice wood be welcome merci john

Guepe ..............

First of all, there is virtually no chance whatsoever of these bills ever catching up with you through 3 house moves, so forget about that!

Taxe Fonciere - at completion (which presumably from what you say, took place sometime in the Summer of '06), your vendor (or the Notaire) should have made some kind of financial adjustment reflecting your 'part' of the year for which you were liable.  If there was no mention, then you'll probably cop for the lot of it.

Taxe d'Habitation - your vendor was (as I understand it), liable for the whole of the tax due for 2006, given that he was still resident (or at least the owner) on 2/1/06.  Again if no mention made ........

Probably no good faxing the Notaire with your details - he / she won't be terribly interested.  The point of contact is your local Hotel d'Impots, which is the font of all knowledge when it comes to all this. Get a number for them, ring them and throw yourself on their mercy.  They'll tell you what's owing (if anything) and you can provide them with your current address.  At best, they'll currently have your original UK address.  I've found them to be extremely helpful people (at least down here).

If the Notaire was doing his job properly, then your liability is for 50% - ish of 2006 TaxF only, (pretty much as with our move, and it was clearly specified), but who knows with your bod.  Don't ask him / her though, ask the Impots - all that really matters is what they reckon is owing. 

Ian 

I wouldn't stress too much ether, Due to a c0ckup on a purchase

that spanned dec and jan (and therefore confused the "whos liable"

situation - who the owner was on Jan 1st 2006 was unclear) We have only just

got our 2005 bills sorted.

On top of this, we didn't even get a late payment fine as

it was the authorities problem as the sent the bills to Germany and then Ireland !

Having a friendly notaire was good too, they helped by

writing the letter to the tax people on our behalf complete with official stamp

and even posted it for us !

All curcumstances are different but If you haven't got the bills, put

the money for the taxes away and go bug the notaire :o) as long as your seen to

be trying to pay / not trying to aviod paying you should be OK..

[quote user="Gardian"]

Taxe Fonciere - at completion (which presumably from what you say, took place sometime in the Summer of '06), your vendor (or the Notaire) should have made some kind of financial adjustment reflecting your 'part' of the year for which you were liable.  If there was no mention, then you'll probably cop for the lot of it.

[/quote]

Small point, if no mention is made (in the acte authentique) then you'd cop for none of it.... The most you would be expected to pay would be your portion (Aug-Dec 06).