Carte-Bleue-Cadeau

andyasj

Has anyone any experience of the Carte Bleue Cadeau ( http://www.carte-bleue-cadeau.com/ ).

This is a prepay Carte Bleue card which will give me a Carte Bleue without a French account and which I am hoping will be useful to buy petrol out of hours etc.  Trouble is it is only valid for a year and I am wondering how easy it is to reclaim unused credit.  Also how much does it cost?

Cheers

[quote user="andyasj"]

Has anyone any experience of the Carte Bleue Cadeau ( http://www.carte-bleue-cadeau.com/ ).

This is a prepay Carte Bleue card which will give me a Carte Bleue without a French account and which I am hoping will be useful to buy petrol out of hours etc.  Trouble is it is only valid for a year and I am wondering how easy it is to reclaim unused credit.  Also how much does it cost?

Cheers

[/quote]

The website says that the person buying it needs to have a French bank account. It also says that you can reclaim unused credit by talking to the customer services people ...

Regards

Pickles

One bank is charging 6 euros the post office 10 Euros. seems a lot to pay for something that doesn't let you get at your money from a cash dispenser. its intended as a kind of CB Book token but with the possibility of spending it on whatever you want.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the death of the cheque spreads to France. place like Shell, Tescos, and Boots no longer or soon won't accept cheques in the UK. Place your bets when it will spread to France.

It sounds rather like a revival of the Moneo card idea, which never really took off.

I think it will take a long time (possibly even as long as 20-30 years) before the cheque can be phased out in France. The perception of cheques vs cards is totally different in France from that in Britain, indeed the whole banking system is different in so many ways. Many older people will not have cards, they always pay by cheque.

I suppose the difference compared to Moneo is that Moneo was intended to replace cash and coins for small transactions, so was not protected by a PIN. You kept it alongside your CB for small purchases, and could top it up as and when needed. This is a card that you give to someone, having loaded it with their present, a possible 800 Euros. When the money is spent you throw the card away.

If anyone wants to try it out by sending me 800 Euros, send me a PM and I'll let them have my address.