No Free 5 years of NI Contributions for UK State Pensions

Quillan

Well more to the point according to the LF magazine this month that you don't get, as a male,  the years 60 to 65 paid for by the state if you are no longer resident in the UK so you have to carry on paying your class 3 stamp till then. Something I must admit I was not aware of, is this correct?

I don't know about that Quillan BUT the Pension White Paper which I believe the Government are hoping to have enacted by 2009 will reduce the amout of years that men and women need to pay to receive a full pension down to 30 years.

I would have a look at how this will affect you, should it become law, before deciding whether to top up or not. [:)]

At the moment men need 44 qualifying years and women need 39, for women this will change between 2010 - 2020 when womens pension age graduly catch up with mens eg, 65

So long as you have the correct qualifying years you can get a full pension and if that happens before you are 60 or 65 for men, then you could in theory stop paying as long as you are not working.

I worked for 8 years before I had my first child in 1978 I have not worked since, but I am allowed up to 19 years of credit years because I was recieving family allowance/ child benefit, Which makes 27 years. After the 19 years I became a partner in my husbands business and became 'self employed' and I have been paying NI for about 10 years now so hopefully I will get my 39+ years in before to long!

That was the position when I sent for a pension forcast a few years ago, unless something has changed[:-))]

Chipie

When I phoned up whoever in the UK when my E106 ran out, I believe this triggered a letter from the DWP which asked me if I wanted to voluntarily top up my N.I contributions. It was within that same letter that they informed me of the proposed changes to pensions.  Credit where it is due, nice to see a Government agency providing enough information so that you can make an informed decision, even if it means that they will be out of pocket.

I believe that you only qualify for the minimum number of years if you were born after after a certain year. I seem to remember that year is 1951.

Edit:  I have just looked it up and the year is 1953 but there are special provisions to enable years before this to be included in the calculation.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/older-and-retired-people/oap_contributory

[quote user="fulcrum"]

I believe that you only qualify for the minimum number of years if you were born after after a certain year. I seem to remember that year is 1951.

Edit:  I have just looked it up and the year is 1953 but there are special provisions to enable years before this to be included in the calculation.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/older-and-retired-people/oap_contributory [/quote]

Meanwhile in the UK.......

From an edited  post on this very subject in the Lounge  Don't ask[Www]

IF and it is a big IF the 30 years of contributions rule becomes a fact, it will apply to WOMEN born after 6 April 1950 and to MEN born after the 6 April 1945 ONLY.

When I spoke to Newcastle a year ago to find out how much needed paying we were told that only very few years were needed to get a full pension, something like 3 years. That wouldn't even take my husband to 60. So I said that I would check later.

This year I asked again, and as they are not sure if the 30 year rule is coming in, then we haven't paid yet.

I suppose that all one can do is ask for a copy of the 'plan' and see what is outstanding and what isn't under current rules.

[quote]IF and it is a big IF the 30 years of contributions rule becomes a fact[RonAvery][/quote]

?? Surely it is a very very tiny if - The Pensions Bill (govt sponsored) had its first reading on 28 November last and its second reading on 16 January. I doubt very much that the UK govt will be defeated between now and the bill becoming Law.

I know not about the qualifying dates.

I was advised by the DWP that I could wait for the outcome of the new pensions bill, which, if passed means I have enough contributions for a full pension. If for any reason the bill did not go through it was possible to pay up to 5 years cl3 contributions in arrears so I'm going to wait for the outcome of the new Pensions bill before paying any more contributions.

cheminot

When you ask for a pension forecast you will probably be even more confused. After Newcastle contacting me and advising me I had paid the required 44years and I needn't pay any more,they stopped the Direct Debit and suggested I ask for a forecast. To date I have 3 computer readouts,all in my name etc but payments vary from 39yrs 42yrs and 46 yrs. The more you ask the more queries come up. When I sent a copy of the 3 readouts back and then phoned 2 months later [I always allow 2 months when it involves a reply from them ] the lady who it was addressed to denied receiving it. Later I had a call saying the paperwork had been found in a cupboard and as the lady was new she wasn't sure how to deal with the enquiry.Perhaps in the cupboard she couldn't see?. That was 9 weeks ago, at least I can be sure I'll be past the 65yr mark by the time they get their act together.

Regards.