renting out property

woody234

Yes, this is perfectly possible (in fact I have friends who have done just that.)  Just be prepared for the restrictions placed upon you as a landlord.  Tennants are well protected in France (quite rightly, imo) but I know this has proved quite a headache for some property owners.  It's well worth aqainting yourself with the letter of the law before you do this (visit the notaires.fr website, or ask your notaire if s/he can give you some advice).  I'm sure most potential tennants are good people but if you're unlucky enough to get a rogue one, you may regret your decision.

I would think that a visit to your local social security office would find you a tennant soon enough.

I don't know your property, but the average British 'holiday home'

isn't worth a high price on the long term market as often it is a long

way from any potential source of work, so not much in demand with French people who are unemployed but looking for a job.

You  would have the advantage of a certain security of income, since at least part of the rent will probably be paid by the CAF directly to you.

They don't pay the first month of any rental, nor the deposit.

However you can't be sure that the tenants  will pay any extra,  ( the Allocation Pour Logement doesn't usually cover 100%)  and if you are not on the spot it is difficult to know what is going on.

You might consider using an Agent , but they don't like dealing with people who haven't a regular fixed income, and demand all sorts of guarantees which would exclude the majority of people on benefits

They may also say that insurance against non-payment of rent is only available for a non-furnished letting.

Unfurnished lettings are usually for 3 years with extensions of 3 years on your part.

The tenant can leave with 3 months notice, though in fact no-one has ever given me that courtesy

Don't forget that as well as possible income tax on the rent you are

also liable for CSG which as a rule of thumb is a about a month's rent

payable in November each year.

I have had damage, theft,  and complaints of nuisance from neighbours.

I am not sure that it is worth the worry and potential major problems  to let long term.

Please do not tar all renters with the same brush. There are many Brits like myself, who rent in France!  Renting long-term, because we do not want to get embroiled in the French housing market with all its attendant worries and expense at the moment!

My wife and I treat the house we are renting as our own and care for it accordingly. We always are a month ahead with our payments which are paid regurlarly!

It is up to the landlords to use  their common sense when they interview any prospective tenants and ask them for proof of their finances! You will find that not all tenants are rogues!

Sadly being British has nothing to do with the rules and regulations surrounding renting in France, into which I tried to give a few insights.nor is it a guarantee of honesty.

The person who has never paid the supplement above the Benefit he is allocated is  British.

As for saying that 'the landlord should use  their common sense when they interview any prospective tenants and ask them for proof of their finances" you seem to forget that the OP was asking  about renting to people on benefits.