Income tax form No 2042 K arrived today - panick help please

milkeybar kid

Please, could some one tell me where is the exact box to put in my  basic state pension that only started July 2006 and because we have no other pension my wife who is below retirement age and is not working received some monies from Newcastle.

The form is No 2042 .

Thank you in anticipation.[blink]

SD

I wonder if the OP has been given the simple version of the 2042? It does not have alll the boxes that a Brit uses.

He should not have done as being a first time tax payer, which makes it strange as to why he has the form 2042 only, he also needs a 2047 if his income is from he UK.  Maybe we can find the threads about filling  in these forms from last year to avoid a repetition of  "what goes where" etc and to save us typing it all out again[:D]   You or me,  les L or Pickles?

Ron

The OP says that this form has arrived today - ie, from his tax office.  That means he must have previously submitted a tax declaration, so one assumes he's aware of the general procedure/forms. 

On this occasion, however, he seems to be just wanting to know the specific boxes to complete with this "new" income source.

Thank you Sunday Driver - you have it in one . We have been declaring small gite buisness for 4 years  prior to state pension becoming available in 2006.The Tax office has always filled this in for us but was aware that the declaration of state pension had to be filled in "carefully". I will make the most of this spot to say how very much it is appreciated (I am sure by so many) how Sunday Driver delivers his replies as to be of help to one and all in a similar scenario's.

We have received a form 2047 today. Neither my wife and I are of retirement age yet, in fact she still works in England for a couple of weeks every month and pays her taxes and National Insurance there. I have taken an early pension from my old company and we exist on this and her salary. We did declare our income at our local tax office last Autumn. Can I ask for advice as to what to expect from this procedure as my French is still not too good.

Thank you - Tim

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The form 2047 is a sort of working sheet - you enter all your foreign earnings in the relevent boxes, and the form tells you which totals to carry forward onto your main 2042 tax declaration.  It's fairly simple to do as long as you understand the French rubric.....[;-)]

[/quote]

Ahh, there's the rub. I asked my French neighbour, who works in our local tax fraud department - yes, they do exist - something to do with a tax form I was sent last year that I really did not understand, and she said that even the French have difficulty understanding the formal language of the tax forms - it is as though it is a language that has been appropriated particularly for their [the tax people's] own use.

No wonder I struggle at times.

Sue

Thank you Sunday Driver - we did visit out local tax office last October, I think, and a fairly helpful woman went through the forms we had then - all in French and I just about managed to understand the process. I guess that we have to make an appointment to go and see her again.

Timing is a bit tricky though, as my wife works half of each month in England.

Can SD or Ron please confirm for me:

• the rental income from gite still goes on form 2042 CK, either in box NO for Mr Clair or OO for myself
  • the figure for contributions sociales for the same income is entered, after a deduction of 71%, either in box HY ofr Mr Clair or IY for myself
Thanks in advance

Me neither, but Will, Les L might know or perhaps Coco. If not you could try Mme Riboulet, see below.

Timco If you have the copies of your 2005 tax forms that you presumably completed in October, and your circumstances as regards income streams has not changed, just use the same boxes as before with your 2006 figures , of course if you are not sure then visit your tax office by all means.  There is also a english or French speaking E mail service for tax queries operated by the very helpful Mme Riboulet at:

[email protected]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

<geek mode on>

I'm in the process of translating all the relevent tax notes and I find them to be fairly straightforward..... 

<geek mode off>

[geek] [/quote]

I must be honest here and say that, at first glance, the notes do seem to be a little easier to understand this year - perhaps the tax dept is trying for the French equivalent of the UK's 'crystal clear' award.

Sue [;-)]

Ours arrived just now,  horrid black thing is sitting there and snarling at me.  We filled ours in in pencil last year and then took it to the tax office and asked them to check it.  They said it was fine so we took it home and filled it in on line.  Hopefully, as all that differ are the small(too small)[:P] annual increments in various pensions all we have to do is to establish the  Euro and Rand exchange rates and then copy it.  Not so difficult but I still hate Government returns.  I seem to remember that if you file online they give you an extra couple of weeks or am I mixing that up with something else?

Got the 2047 yesterday in the post, why aren't they sending out the 2042s with it?  From a quick scan of the notes you still have to fill in the 2042, so seems daft not to have both together unless the pre-printed ones are coming from elsewhere.

No you are right mini megan, you do get longer to complete on line and a 20€ discount for paying on line also.  You should have had an E mail with all the details of dates etc

For the first couple of years I got an accountant to do my tax return, as I was anxious not to do things wrongly,  This year for the first time, I'm going to have a go at doing it myself.  Thanks, at least in part, to reading so much advice on here, and realising it's not that difficult.  Hopefully I won't get myself in too much of a mess!  Thanks guys.

[quote user="Megan le Fey"] I seem to remember that if you file online they give you an extra couple of weeks or am I mixing that up with something else?[/quote]

Looking at the help form that came with my 2042K, the last dates for an online decalration are:

• 12th June for zone A
  • 19th June for zone C and DOM
  • 26th June for zone B
€20 off your tax bill for online declaration, only if one of these conditions is met:

• you pay monthly or quarterly
  • you pay online

I  was a tax inspector in the UK so it is quite a novel situation for me to be struggling with completing a tax return.  Last year, I went to my local Centre des Impots in Gourdon and a very pleasant inspector helped me complete my form.  This year, the 2047K arrived on the 2nd May and I filled it in, as far as possible, in the same way as the previous year, and I was just about to post it next day when the 2042K arrived, so I sent them both off together.  The format seems to change a little each year, so I am not at all sure I have done it right, but I enclosed a letter setting out my very simple finances.  My two pensions as a teacher and a tax inspector are taxed at source in the UK and I put their total in Box TI.  My state retirement pension is taxed in France - or rather not taxed, as for 2005 the tax due was 117 euros and on the next line was 'Decote - 117 euros', so no tax payable.  I would be taxed at 22% on my £4000 pension in the UK, so it was very beneficial for me to choose to have this pension taxed in France.   I put this pension in Box 1AS - Pensions, Retraites, etc.  I have no other income whatsover, so I don't expect to have any tax due this year.  I love the idea of being given credit for having two children, even though one of them is about to become a grandmother!

I wondered about the  TV licence box - I live in a rented gite and my landlords pay for a licence for all three gites, so I presume that I don't need to pay that. I don't have a proper French lease on the furnished gite - just a normal holiday rental that lasts for a year!   I know I am quite safe but I think my English landlords could be in difficulties if they ever wanted to get me out and I refused to move (not that I would, I will give them three months' notice when I find a little house I can afford).

Monaco wrote

"I love the idea of being given credit for having two children, even though one of them is about to become a grandmother!

You are only allowed to include dependant children on youtr tax return.  You do not get any credit for children that are not dependent on you and they should not be included on your tax return.

If you have done so,  your return (s)  is incorrect because of this and it will affect your tax allowance and tax to be paid.  You should contact your tax office to amend this error ASAP.

Tell them you were a tax inspector in the UK that will give them a good laugh[:P]

Edit

I just noticed on another post that you have capital to spend, as a tax inspector you would not be seeking to hide the interest that you might be earning on it from the French tax man would you? Assuming of course that it is invested and not under your bed[Www]

Ah here it is! I'm rather interested in the definition of a 'dependent' child.. as we are paying the utility bills and frequently the food bills of our 28 year old musician ~ I use the word loosely ~ son in the UK.. I admit Ron, I got rather quite excited at the prospect of being able to claim credit for him - apart from bringing him into the world of course [:P]