Buildings and contents insurance

Dinks

Not sure which forum this post should be in, so apologies if I have chosen the wrong one!

I am looking at sorting out the buildings and contents insurance for our new (old!) house in 09. I have had a quote from Intasure so far which seems very reasonable. Does anybody have any experience of them? What are people's opinions about using a UK firm rather than a French form for such insurance? I have heard that the claims process when going through a French insurer can be painful!.

Also, I have been told that a buildings policy HAS to include 1. defense penale et recours 2. catastrophes naturelles and  3. fonds de garantie Attentat.  Catastrophes naturelles is self-explanatory but can anybody shed any light on the other two for me and would these generally be covered by a UK policy? Is the first one legal cover?

It seems that the "French way" is to place your insurance with one of the several insurance frachise offices you will find in your local town.  It is much more usual to do this sort of thing face to face and certainly has benefits over dealing with those dreadful call centres favoured by UK companies.

When we made a claim on our insurance for a broken double glazed window last year it couldn't have been more simple. A visit to the local office, filled in a very simple form whilst there and then given the name of a local window fitter to whom we could go to and ask him to go ahead with the workstraight away. No messing around getting quotes, no waiting for the claim to be aproved or assessed, and no excess to pay either. All sorted with the minimum of fuss.

As long as you are there to be able to visit the office in person then this is by far the best way.  If it is only a holiday home and you need a company which you can deal with over the phone then maybe a UK call centre company might, I suppose, be better.

I use  GENERALI   ASSURANCES  Homeowners Comprehensive Insurance Domicile......the policy is in English..it was easy to set up on the phone and by e mail through  Asttral SA who have an office in Marseille  they have a web site ...it was not expensive and the cost reduced this year ......  house and contents  covered together .....I notice in my wine celler......... liquids are covered for cracks in bottles barrels and casks ...........that is handy.........if only I had one !