Cheque received in joint names, bank a/c in one name only

clueless!

Current rules in UK mean that a cheque made out in joint names cannot be paid into the account of one or other of the parties (or so I understand). We have received a rebate (yippee!) from the notaire on the purchase of our house in France (which is in joint names) but the French bank account is in my name only. Is there any way round paying this in to the existing French account (i.e. does the same rule apply Europe-wide)? Otherwise, looks as if it will have to be paid in to our UK account with consequent fee for the privilege! Only other possibility seems to be to change the French account to joint names by providing all the necessary dreary paperwork.

I have received several cheques from the Trésor Public, made out to Mr et Mme Clair , even though I have never used Mr Clair's name and my bank account is in my own (maiden) name.

I have never had any problems deposited them in my account at my local CA branch, as they know me, so it could be worth going to the branch where the account is held and explaining...

By all means try to pay it in at your French bank branch first, but if this fails, take or send the cheque back to the notaire with a letter signed by your other half requesting that the cheque be put in your name only. The notaire may also be able to do an electronic transfer to your bank account if you provide a RIB.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Clair"]I have received several cheques from the Trésor Public, made out to Mr et Mme Clair , even though I have never used Mr Clair's name and my bank account is in my own (maiden) name.
I have never had any problems deposited them in my account at my local CA branch, as they know me, so it could be worth going to the branch where the account is held and explaining...
[/quote]

When we deposit cheques in our branch we have to sign the cheque on the back, which in the old days in the UK used to 'open' the cheque, so that it could be paid into any 3rd party bank account. Does signing the cheque on the back here mean the same thing? So that, effectively, anyone can pay any cheque into any bank account?

Sue

Thanks to all for your replies - I might try ringing the bank first ('cos it's CA Britline) to ask if we can endorse the cheque on the back as used to be possible in the UK - if not, I'll go back down the notaire route, albeit probably more ponderous!

[quote user="Spg"]When we deposit cheques in our branch we have to sign the cheque on the back, which in the old days in the UK used to 'open' the cheque, so that it could be paid into any 3rd party bank account. Does signing the cheque on the back here mean the same thing? So that, effectively, anyone can pay any cheque into any bank account?Sue[/quote]

In practice, yes, if you sign a chq before you deposit it, anyone could pretend it's theirs to deposit. I don't know what recourse you would have with the bank and personnaly, I never sign a chq before I am IN the bank!.