what can you take from your house

mooky

I have just put my house on the market for  80.000. my french neighbours think this is not enough. It was only renoveted three years ago. They have told me I should take everything from it. eg Fires. I brought three wood burners when I moved in, the large 14 kilowatt Godin was over a 1000 euro's. I hadn't dreamt of taking then with me; All kitchen cupboards are old freestanding antique cupboards which came from UK. so those will go with me. Just rather nice sink unit left. But fires I hadn't considered. What do others think. I haven't signed the contract from the immobliers, should I state on there whats going and what isn't?

[quote user="mooky"]

I haven't signed the contract from the immobliers, should I state on there whats going and what isn't?

[/quote]

For the avoidance of doubt, yes. You would do this for a sale in UK so why not here.

Remember the old joke about the ****** man discovered stripping the wallpaper by his friend - are you redecorating ? No, moving.

John

I would say that the contract with the Immo is not the place for this, it just an agreement between you and him to market your property and it is not concerned with this level of detail.

You could if you wished put in the property description that some items such as the woodburners are included or else say nothing about them then tell viewers that they are not included but that you are open to offers for them. This could work to your advantage because you could still market at €80k but then negotiate these items away at low prices which will make the purchasers feel that they are getting more for their money.

Don't forget also that people will generally offer below your asking price and keeping these sort of items in reserve could enable you to claw some of that back. If you are prepared to let the lot go for €80, or offers thereabouts, you have nothing to lose.

Only once a sale is a agreed would you think about an inventory but this would really be driven from the purchasers side for them to ensure that they don't walk into a stripped out shell which has been known to happen [:(]

Good luck with the sale, I think the market is still bouyant enough to shift decent properties in this price range quite quickly.

for the avoidance of doubt I should make a list and lodge it with the estate agent - what you are definitely taking and what you are definitely leaving and what you might be prepared to leave, for a price. It is not unusual for buyers to find that doorhandles have been taken, and fixed lights and bulbs, and even - in our case - shrubs from the garden!!!

[quote user="nectarine"]for the avoidance of doubt I should make a list and lodge it with the estate agent - what you are definitely taking and what you are definitely leaving and what you might be prepared to leave, for a price. It is not unusual for buyers to find that doorhandles have been taken, and fixed lights and bulbs, and even - in our case - shrubs from the garden!!![/quote]

Same here nectarine...  We didn't really like their light fittings but did expect that they would leave sufficient wire to connect replacements.  But, no, they were removed with secateurs - cut flush to the wall!

We did visit the house before signing (they moved their stuff out at Easter and we completed in June) but we didn't see the point of arguing the toss over the lights at that point - especially as needed to rewire.  Nevertheless it was irritating!

After getting the keys and letting ourselves in, we found the seller had even removed the fusebox. Nothing we could do as we had accpeted the keys, the vendors weren't present at the sign over. Wot an rsole.

Still, got to know a bit about French electrics from day one.

• 2 weeks later...

You always try to plan for every eventuality and not get ripped off but sometimes these things are just outside of your expectations and wildest dreams/nightmares!

We had a mean relative of our vendor taking away all sorts from our house and outbuildings - when I complained she said that we were lucky they hadn't taken all the trees [:(](from our 9 hectares) as they were worth a lot of money - so always best to clarify!

It seems it's normal policy to remove the Kitchen units.Several French viewers we've had have all asked if the kitchen is staying or being removed.I presume they don't mean the tiles as well.

Things are obviously moving a bit as on a visit to the agent on Saturday .two families were signing on seperate sales.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

They have you really, as they have the Keys so you can't preview before handing over your cheque, we had an arrangement as we paid the full amount asked everything would remain.

after the 3 month grace as it was a large estate. we went as everyone else, and paid,  then recieved  a thin piece of paper almost tissue a5 and that was it,  no keys, no docs all lost in the war, so our point was if it was all lost during the war, what was the three hours of photo copying of??? of what???

Anyway we arrived at the main gates to the tree lined drive now all completely overgrown since Feb and now August., after 3 hours cutting  heavy brambl and tree branches with hedge trimmer and chain saws we finally reached the house, only to discover it had been completely gutted all the 17th century fixtures and fittings had gone. doors windows shutters, electric boxes, three rooms fully panneled, gone.  we could see right thru.  we were in shock to say the very least but looking on the positive side it was all full of woodworm.. and we would have replaced it anyway back to original spec....

4 years on at our BBQ an elderly French man had got to know us and rather worse for calvados said he thourgh he had been here before...the penny had dropped...with his friend, they bourght all the doors from the owners son, etc... and he still has them and offered them back free. so is'nt that nice...

The moral of the story... don't agree to anything, decide after the sale what you leave depending on what price you get...Bon Chance...  

Just to address the balance a bit...! The vendor of our property walked through with me and asked what I would like leaving, Fixtures and fittings for free, and furniture for " un petit prix" ( and some for free ).  He overheard us talking in the notaires to the estate agent about fencing the property,  which now ajoins his land, and said as it would suit him to have it fenced off from his land he will provide the posts and fit them if we pay for the wire. (The fixtures and fittings included some really nice glass and china light shades which I have seen for sale in brocantes for around 50 euros! ) He has been and continues to be an absolute gent!!!!!![:D]

We were not expecting any skulduggery but mindful of stories of stripped houses we arranged to visit the property with the agent an hour or so before the appointment with the Notaire. Of course the vendor could have have hadsomeone waiting round the corner for us to leave (she didn't !) but short of leaving a sentry to watch over the place it I don't see what you could do about that [:'(]

My experiece is even if nailed down they will normally take it....The pile of wood under a bit of sheeting at the bottom of my garden was taken ..but . two 200 litre drums of diesel in the outbuilding they left behind ... pretty pink colour ...we know what they ran their car on now !

Hi Mooky.....I've been looking for a house in SE Vendee / Deux Sevres for a while. My criteria is older property, little or no work required (other than decoration), minimum three bedrooms, minimum of 500 metres land, not isolated. Perhaps you could send me a pm (I've forgotten how to do that) with some details if your house meets what I am looking for. If appropriate you could also send details of who is marketing your house so that I can see some photos. I had expected to have to pay more than your asking price but you never know- there are definitely bargains for buyers around.