Changing address

TLE

I know by all the previous threads that

Nationwide have not minded in the past if you change to an address in France. Has

anyone done this recently? Is it still OK? We’re moving out in the spring and I

really want to keep my account but I’ll no longer have a UK address.

Many Thanks

You're wise to hang on to the NW A/C, I think there are a few folks around who wished now that they had either opened one before moving or not closed an existing one.

Currently we're using the Post Office redirection service, (we paid 6 month's in advance for it so gotta get our money's worth), plus got online access to NW of course, but eventually will be changing the address to France.

I'll let you go first though so do keep in touch [:D]

Not only should you hang on to your account but, if you are interested in their savings bond paying in excess of 6 percent (can't remember 6 point what), then get one quick BEFORE you come over.  I wanted to get one of those and thought I'd apply on line but then came unstuck when it asks are you ordinarily resident in the UK (or words to that effect).  Drat!!!

[quote user="sweet 17"] I wanted to get one of those and thought I'd apply on line but then came unstuck when it asks are you ordinarily resident in the UK (or words to that effect).  Drat!!![/quote]

You can always open a Nationwide IOM base rate tracker premium account paying 6.5% income paid gross - only open to non-residents of the UK.

Sue [:)]

Well I just went through the process for investing in the E-Bond online and read the T&C's and I see nothing which says you must be UK resident.

Quote:

1. In these terms and conditions 'you/yours' means the account holder and 'we/us/our' means Nationwide Building Society. 'Account' means your e-Bond and e-Bond Maturity accounts, which are share accounts and are either in your own name or held jointly with someone else. These terms and conditions are governed by English law.

2. The minimum initial deposit and minimum balance on the e-Bond is £1. The maximum balance is £3,000,000. You may hold more than one e-Bond as long as the combined balance does not exceed £3,000,000.

3. The e-Bond can only be opened by a transfer from a Nationwide FlexAccount through the Internet Bank or by a transfer from the e-Bond Maturity account. The deposit will earn interest from the first full day it is in the e-Bond. The e-Bond must be opened and held in the same names as the FlexAccount used to open it. The e-Bond can be viewed on the Internet Bank and no certificate will be issued.

4. We may stop offering the e-Bond to new customers without telling you.

5. Part withdrawals are not permitted during the term of the e-Bond.

6. Additional deposits into the e-Bond after the initial deposit are not permitted.

7. We may from time to time issue other fixed rate or fixed term accounts at different interest rates or terms without offering you the opportunity to transfer your deposit to the new account free of these conditions.

8. Subject to availability, e- Bonds may be issued for a fixed term of one, two or three years, starting on the date the account is opened and ending on the first, second or third anniversary of the opening of the account (depending on the bond chosen).

9. Interest is paid annually on the anniversary of opening of the e-Bond, or monthly on the last day of each calendar month, and on maturity. Interest on the e-Bond Maturity account is paid annually on the anniversary of opening.

10. Interest will be paid as follows:

1. Monthly interest on the e-Bond will be paid directly to the Nationwide FlexAccount used to open the account.
  2. Annual interest on a one year e-Bond will be paid into the e-Bond.
  3. Annual interest on a two or three year e-Bond can be paid directly to the e-Bond or paid to the Nationwide FlexAccount used to open the account.
  4. Interest paid on maturity of the e-Bond will be added to the balance in the account.
  5. Interest paid annually on the e-Bond Maturity account will be added to the balance in the account

11. The e-Bond can be closed prior to maturity, subject to the following early access charge (these charges will not apply on closure due to the death of the account holder).

Term Remaining

More than 3 years

2-3 years

1-2 years

Less than 1 year

Loss of interest

180 days

150 days

120 days

90 days

The funds in the account, together with any interest earned and less the interest charge, will be paid to you within the time stipulated by you or within 30 days whichever is longer.

12. On maturity, the balance in the e-Bond together with interest will automatically be converted to an e-Bond Maturity account on the Internet Bank and will earn interest at the rate applying to our e-Savings account, details of which can be found at www.nationwide.co.uk or by calling 08457 302010. Transfers from this account may be made without notice or penalty. Additional deposits into the e-Bond Maturity account are not permitted. No credits can be made to the e-Bond Maturity account except at the time of roll-over into a new e-Bond.

13. You agree to be bound by our Rules and these terms and conditions. Our Rules are available from any branch or on our website at www.nationwide.co.uk

14. We may vary these conditions. If the change is to your benefit, we may make the change immediately and tell you about it either by sending you a message on the Internet Bank or putting a notice on our website or an advertisement in the press. If the change is to your disadvantage, we will tell you about it personally at least 30 days in advance and ignore any notice period on your account for at least 60 days starting on the date of the notice to allow you to either close or switch the account without loss of interest.

15. On the death of a sole account holder the balance in the account together with interest and any bonus will be paid to their personal representatives without notice or loss of interest. On the death of a joint account holder, the balance together with interest and any bonus will be payable to the surviving account holder without notice or loss of interest or the surviving account holder can choose to keep the account in their name.

16. In normal circumstances, we will not close your account without giving you at least 30 days' notice.

17. We are not responsible for failure of any machine, data processing system, transmission link or any industrial dispute or circumstances beyond our control which obstructs or disrupts any service we provide to you.

18. The account must not be used for business purposes.

19. You must tell us straightaway if you change your name, address, telephone number or e-mail address.

20. A statement will be available on the Internet Bank.

21. We will deduct income tax at the lower rate from any interest paid unless you are an eligible non-taxpayer and have completed an Inland Revenue Form R85 for interest to be paid gross (without tax deducted). On a joint account interest can be paid net (with tax deducted) to one account holder and gross to the other. If you pay income tax at a higher rate, you will have to pay any additional tax on your interest.

22. The account can have a maximum of two account holders. Where the account is in joint names, the authority of both of you is deemed to have been given in respect of all transactions.

23. In the event of a dispute between joint account holders, we may freeze the account until we receive written instruction from both of you.

24. The account cannot be operated by a Trustee or Power of Attorney and cannot be opened with a FlexAccount that is run by a Trustee or Power of Attorney unless we have evidence of physical or mental incapacity.

25. We will only communicate confidential information through secure browser based messages on the Internet Bank or through the post. If we need to write to you, we will only write to you at the home address registered on our records.

ErnieY

You are my hero forever and ever!  There is a bit in the Home Page of Nationwide that says Click the "Activate e-Bond" button, tell us how much you'd like to transfer and confirm you're a UK resident (my emphasis).  But, of course, once you are logged in, it doesn't ask you that at all!  Just transfer the funds and print out your own e-bond.  Wow!  How good is that!

Just hope now that when they have to check my address or whatever, they don't say, "Here's your money back, you do NOT qualify!"

Erns, you haven't thought about qualifying as a financial consultant have you; just a bit of a change from deep sea diving or whatever it is that you do on those off-shore oil rigs?