Paying the Tresor Public on line

Benjamin

Last week I decided to pay the Taxe Foncières on line. All went well and I received an email acknowledgement of the transaction together with Une Adhésion au Télérèglement which I was to sign and date and send it to my own bank together with a RIB.

Whilst I accept that this is probably the equivalent of a dietect debit authorisation does anyone have experience of this type of payment and when/if I make subsequent payments on line for other taxes will this direct debit authorisation be carried forward for future payments or will I need to go through the same procedure again? If the latter I can't see what the advantage of paying on line is.

I think I did the same a couple of years ago.

The next bill will arrive as usual, but on the payment bit of the bill, it will say that "You have opted for automatic payment and unless they hear from you, the amount will be debited from your account on such date"

[quote user="Clair"]I think I did the same a couple of years ago.
The next bill will arrive as usual, but on the payment bit of the bill, it will say that "You have opted for automatic payment and unless they hear from you, the amount will be debited from your account on such date"
[/quote]

I don't think that is correct. I have been paying on-line for some years now and the advantages are -

1) It is only the first payment where you are required to print off the form and send it to your bank together with a RIB. On subsequent payments ( of the same tax and provided your bank details have not changed) you simply log on and authorise the payment - nothing to print off - nothing to send to your bank or the Tresor Public. - Quicker than writing a cheque.

2) You control the amount that is paid an you know when it is debited. (5-10 days after the date of payment on the Avis). In theory you can make a part payment this way but I have always paid in full.

3) It is NOT like a direct debit nor a standing order. It is a single instruction to pay a fixed amount that you decide. When next year's bill arrives you will be given all the normal options for payment and you must choose one. i.e YOU choose the method of payment not the Tresor Public.

Full details of how it works can be found here https://www.telepaiement.cp.finances.gouv.fr/satelit/web.forte?servicename=satelit&templatename=AccueilInfoEdito.htm&codeedito=PL1

hope that helps

Hagar

As written on the taxe foncière bill received last month...

"Vous avez choisi le prélèvement annuel  (adhérent nº: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Sauf avis contraire de votre part avant le 01 10 2007 auprès de votre trésorerie ou directement sur www.impots.fr, la somme à payer sera prélevée le 25 10 2007 sur votre compte Nº xxxxxxxxxx

VOUS N'AVEZ RIEN A ENVOYER"

[quote user="Clair"]As written on the taxe foncière bill received last month...

"Vous avez choisi le prélèvement annuel  (adhérent nº: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sauf avis contraire de votre part avant le 01 10 2007 auprès de votre trésorerie ou directement sur www.impots.fr, la somme à payer sera prélevée le 25 10 2007 sur votre compte Nº xxxxxxxxxx
VOUS N'AVEZ RIEN A ENVOYER"
[/quote]

Yes but that is not the same thing prlevement annuel IS effectively a direct debit mandate. This from the french gov website.

"

La date limite de paiement de la taxe foncière est fixée au 15 octobre 2007.

Si vous êtes mensualisé, vous n'avez rien à faire. Votre avis de taxe foncière fait le point sur vos versements et vous indique votre échéancier 2008.

Si vous n'êtes pas mensualisé, choisissez le prélèvement annuel : votre compte bancaire sera prélevé le 25 octobre. Vous bénéficiez ainsi d’un avantage de trésorerie de 10 jours par rapport à la date limite de paiement.

Vous pouvez également payer directement en ligne jusqu'au samedi 20 octobre minuit."

rgds

hagar

Many thanks for your replies although I'm not sure if I'm any further forward with my query.

In November I intend paying another tax (Revenus de Capitaux Mobiliers) on line when I will find out if the instuction I have given to my bank applies to all payments I make to the Tresor Public or whether the authority only applied to the Taxe Foncière that I have just paid. Either way I'll let you know.

As for what happens next year, I'll just have to wait and see.

Aly, I never had you down as a Luddite: it must be all these French qualifications that you've got are turning you into people like my neighbours who wouldn't be seen dead near a keyboard never mind embracing technology.   [:D]

Benjamin,

On the government website you have three choices

1) sign up for monthly payements

2) sign up for an annual direct debit

3) make a payment directly on line.

Throughout I have assumed that you chose the latter. If so the answers to your questions are.

A) Yes you need to go through the setup for each individual/different tax you elect to pay on-line. I.e you must download the form sign it and forward it to your bank with a RIB. (Once for TF, Again for TH, again for CSG etc)

B) You only need to do this once for each tax. In subsequent years you simply log on ,enter the No Fiscal, No d'Avis and click pay then confirm.

Apologies - I could have answered you more clearly the first time round 

rgds

Hagar

p.s I think part of the confusion arises from your assumtion that this is equivalent to  a Direct Debit - It is not - that is option 2 "prelevement annuel" on the website . The monthly option is equivalent to a standing order. AFIK there is no real equivalent to the 3rd option in the UK banking system

Thank you very much for your concise reply Hagar.

It was your point A) that I was hoping to avoid. To be honest I probably won't bother again now that you've explained the system to me.

I wonder just how popular this method is amongst French people. Of course  my ideal  situation would be to pay on line using my French debit card but maybe that's too simple.

[quote user="Benjamin"]Of course my ideal  situation would be to pay on line using my French debit card but maybe that's too simple.  
[/quote]

I seem to remember not being able to pay Council Tax in the UK with a debit card either - so no difference there. Unless this too has changed whilst I have been living in France?

Sue

[quote user="Benjamin"]Thank you very much for your concise reply Hagar.

It was your point A) that I was hoping to avoid. To be honest I probably won't bother again now that you've explained the system to me.

[/quote]

Must admit I thought it was bit tedious first time round. Particularly since I set these up when we were still UK resident. That notwithstanding I now think the system is great - especially for someone like me who generally leaves things to the last minute only to find there is not enough time to send a cheque.

rgds

hagar 

• 1 month later...
Just a quick update on this.

The money for the Taxe Foncière was taken from our bank account on 25 October as stated on the reverse of the form which effectively meant we hung on to the money for an extra 10 calendar days.

I then relented and paid our Contributions Sociales using the same method and that went through our account yesterday i e 10 days plus one for the Sunday.

I will use this method of payment for next year which, now it's set up, looks to be just about the best method of payment for us.