Writing cheques in French

Helen

I have to write a cheque to pay a heating company for work they have done on our house in France.  I will be writing it in England and posting it to them.  Should I put our UK town or the location of our French house in the place where you have to fill in the location where you write the cheque - and does it really matter?

Thanks

Helen

I actually asked someone in the bank about this on Friday.  I had paid for a car repair in a place 10 miles from where I live but I still put my home town in.  The bank cashier said that it did not matter as long as it wasn't a place that I hadn't visited!

[quote user="Cathy"]

I actually asked someone in the bank about this on Friday.  I had paid for a car repair in a place 10 miles from where I live but I still put my home town in.  The bank cashier said that it did not matter as long as it wasn't a place that I hadn't visited!

[/quote]

Did you really mean that? now I'm confused

That's what the cashier said - admittedly with a smile on her face.  I supposed that she was saying that you can write anything reasonable (i.e. your home even if you are writing the actual cheque 10 miles away) and not Timbuktu, for example.

It would be nice to know what the official answer is.

E.g. Would they really reject a cheque that said Paris on it when you had been in Verseilles when you signed it?

In  truth, you could put where you like but you can just put where you are at the time of writing, as most people tend to do.

It is an outdated part, just like the French banking system itself really.

As for the possibility of rejecting a cheque and that you may have actually been somewhere else, oh please..........[8-)]

As for that cashier, it was a totally worthless answer.

The reason for writing where you are, while writing the cheque, is to stop fraud.  So if you get your statement & there is a strange debit on it - you check with the bank, who tell you the cheque was written in ... say Paris ..... & you know that you weren't there, the bank will deal with it appropriately.  Well ..... that's the theory, anyway. [Www]