Pensions

ColinE

Hi People.

Could someone please give me any advice re pension payments, I have a state pension and a private pension, these are being paid monthly to me. less tax.

Is it best to leave them as they are, or should I have them paid gross, then pay the taxes in France, I am not trying to avoid anything, just dont know what is best.

Thank you.

Colin

If you live in France, you must fill in a French tax return.  If by a state pension, you mean a statutory retirement pension, then that is taxable here; if a government (eg civil service/police etc) it is taxable in the UK - but must still be declared on your French tax return.  Your private pension is taxable here.

Go to your local tax office and get a tax form (sometime around February in the year following your arrival is about right).  The date for submission is normally some time in May, and is always announced on this forum by some kind person - usually Clair - once it is known.  Then download and fill in  form FD5 from the hmg revenue service.  This will explain how you reclaim any tax paid in the UK since your arrival (although there's a huge backlog so don't hold your breath!)