uk debit card at french 24hr petrol stations?

Keelstow

are uk issued credit/debit cards being accepted at these fuel pumps yet?

until recently we were obliged to sign basic store transactions but can now use PIN just about everywhere. A freind claims his card is OK but my nationwide one has never worked at  a pump as it would in the UK

have anyone managed to get fuel by PINing in on the forecourt

I ask as this facility would be useful on sundays and during other store closing times

thanks for any information as regards changes that have occured since I was last in france last summer

martin

Hi Keelstow... I use the 24 hour petrol pumps and the otherday I put the wrong card in... that is my UK Frist Direct bank account card rather than my French one... only realised as my french PIN wouldn't work... I carried on and it happily took the First Direct card... This was in Vergt in 24... not sure if this helps?

You may be lucky, but I think you will find that most service station automatic machines will still take only French-issued cards. I am told there is a better chance of a non-French credit card (visa, Mastercard) being accepted in this type of machine than a non-French debit card - it's all to do with the level of authorisation, and the method used to authorise transactions.

Maybe so but I do also have a CA debit card come the day [;-)]

EDIT: Just noticed that this was my 2000th post, could be something to do with the stupefying boredom of being offshore. Seems an opportune moment to offer thanks to those who have helped me and apologies to any I may have offended [:D][:D][:D]

The big Leclerc complex going out of Bolougne if using Speedferries take Nationwide cards in its automatic machines ( and I assume the rest of UK cards)  Trying to find out if  City Europe and Sainsburys at Calais  take UK cars in its 24/7 machines. for when we use the shuttle.

Any one have an update?

Steve

[quote user="Cathy"]

Ernie-Congrats on your 2000!

The Credit Agricole debit card (I have one) is expensive as there is an annual charge.  You also cannot change your PIN number to a memorable number and so I always forget it.[/quote]Thanks Cathy.

Ultimately in practice one does need a French card and I think they mostly all charge something or other so it's a bit of Hobson's choice.

When we first got ours I had to phone my daughter in UK from Rouen at something like 6am to get up and drive 10 miles from her house to ours to look in the CA file for the PIN number. I'd forgotten it and only had a limited amount in cash and 2 vehicles both with empty tanks. I didn't have the heart to tell her that by the time she got back to us I had remembered it [Www]

[quote user="Cathy"]

The Credit Agricole debit card (I have one) is expensive as there is an annual charge.  You also cannot change your PIN number to a memorable number and so I always forget it.

[/quote]

Does anyone know if this also applies to those from Banque Populaire. Tried changing my number in the UK and having tried two machines they politely told me, in French, to go away and talk to my bank.

Paul

Yes, I think it does. As far as I am aware Société Générale is the only French bank that allows you to choose your own PIN, and that has to be done when you order the card. None of them can be changed after issue, unless things have altered fairly recently.

Just to make things absolutely clear, because a chip and pin card works in supermarkets, restaurants etc, or at the pay kiosk for fuel, it does not follow that it will work in fuel pumps. Most pumps are the older machines that can only handle French cards. If it is a new machine, or is in a place where there are likely to be a lot of British card users, e.g. near ferry ports, or at certain shopping complexes, the chances are better - but in general most non-French cards will probably not work in automatic fuel pumps.

That's a useful reminder, Will.

Having once had to rely on a kindly French man who was willing to use his card for us and let us pay him cash, we make sure we keep the tank topped-up, especially at the weekend.

I now assume that my British card won't work on any automatic pump except those near the channel ports. It saves embarrassment and delays.

Hoddy

The last time I was in France everywhere I used my Sainsbury's Credit Card allowed its use with the PIN. Petrol Stations and Supermarkets and every shop I went to. I did'nt use it  in Restaurants though just in case they took it out of my sight.

Just to let you know although a few years ago, we had a problem, we have found that going to the ATM in Abbey before we left at Christmas, the OH unlocked his pin number first (there was a section for that in the machine), then when travelling, we now seem to be able to use it throughout France, even at automatic fuel pumps.

Check your card before travelling, this should help.

[quote user="Will"]

Just to make things absolutely clear, because a chip and pin card works in supermarkets, restaurants etc, or at the pay kiosk for fuel, it does not follow that it will work in fuel pumps. Most pumps are the older machines that can only handle French cards. If it is a new machine, or is in a place where there are likely to be a lot of British card users, e.g. near ferry ports, or at certain shopping complexes, the chances are better - but in general most non-French cards will probably not work in automatic fuel pumps.

[/quote]

Will

I would have agreed completely with you up until the last few months, I live in probably the most backward region of France wher most commerciants have never before seen a foreign card and are convinced that they would not work, we are probably the last area to get a "pan european upgrade" but....................

I had noticed recently that the automated pumps had started prompting for the language, I was either using my French carte bleu or my nationwude one during kiosk opening hours (when the pumps would accept foreign cards!) and wondered whether they would work out of hours.

I recently returned my carte bleu to save money and as I only used it when getting caught short for fuel at a weekend, I had worked all week including Saturday and Sunday and was on my way to see my French girlfriend who I had neglected since the sunday before when I realised that I didnt have enough fuel for the journey; the auto-pump accepted my Nationwide card for the first time out of hours.

Maybe jus maybe things are gradually changing? - go give your UK card a try out of hours!

It's good to see that things are gradually changing. There are plenty of automatic pumps round our way that take only French bank cards, but as they get replaced the chances of finding one that works with other cards are improving with time.

The disparity of pricing between the supermarkets and the lone pump garages of the type oft encountered in quaint but squitty little villages and hamlets pretty well ensures that I will never have the opportunity to fully explore the extent of the workings of my cards [;-)]

TIP: those of you with satnav will probably have a "find a garage/supermarket/hotel etc." feature which means wherever and whenever you find yourself in need of fuel, for the sake of maybe only a minor detour, you can both avail yourself of supermarket prices AND be fairly certain of being able to use a UK card [:)]

To be more precise, it was a supermarket outlet albeit well removed from the supermarket, the cardreader and operating menu (with voice prompts) had not been changed although the software may have.

Next time I will try the English language option to see if it talks to me in english with a french accent!