Winter Heating Allowance

Jazzer

I have just caught part of an interview conducted by Peter Allan on Radio 5 with a conservative MP. The MP is to suggest to Parliament that the heating allowance should not be paid to expats who live permanently abroad. It should only be paid to those who spend the winter overseas. Peter Allan chaallenged him by saying that we had all contributed over the years by way pf taxation and NIC contributions and should be paid accordingly. The MP suggested that we had not contributed but per se and this was an allowance meant for those who could not afford to heat their houses. I can see both sides of the coin, butone flaw in the argument which neither mentioned is that is paid whether you are earning millions or nothing at all.

At the moment I think Darling DarlingM.P. and his boss are sraping the bottom of the barrel to save any expenditure and at the other end thinking up as many schemes as possible to get more cash in the coffers. Heating allowance being the tip of the iceberg. Many Junior /First Schools in Uk are being forced to close.Having Grandchildren at one threatened[ forgone conclusion many would say] closure.We have taken the trouble to research many of the FACTS not quoted in the Council/Education Authority proposal and the consultancy paper. There seems to be a drive to save and get cash by any means at the moment.2 Aircraft carriers cancelled,various MOD contracts cancelled. Many bridge/road improvements "postponed/cancelled". A&E Depts closing.Police Stations Closed or only manned at certain hours. Council Taxes increased as Government Payments to Councils are drastically cut,each year!! So on and so on, sometimes these things are hardly mentioned in the Press but the cost seems to fall on ordinary working people. When I once queried why my UK Doctor's Surgery had to rely on donations to buy a  Defibrilator I made the mistake of looking up UK Charities.,thousands and thousands of them and came to the conclusion that the UK Goverment rely on peoples charity to keep the country running. Also note that Conway M.P. as in get work/sorry cash for the family, gets £80.000 P.A. from a CATS charity.Say's it all.

I've just started getting notes from one UK Annuity to make sure I'm still alive, perhaps the profit on my payments must be running out.

Regards.

While I totally empathise with what you are saying, Gastines, let's keep to the OP's message. This is one close to my heart! I think it's totally unfair to pay heating allowance to anyone who is a resident of the Uk in the September before their 59th birthday! What sort of marker is that? Our English neighbour moved over here in the November after the September before his 59th birthday so gets his heating allowance for life (unless things change of course!).

What's wrong with giving the heating allowance to everyone who qualifies for their State Pension, regardless of where they live. If they qualify for a UK State Pension, then surely they have paid their contributions and should be also be eligible for a heating allowance.

And yes, I moved to France before the required date so, although I qualify for, and am now in receipt of my State Pension, I do not receive the heating allowance!

"Our English neighbour moved over here in the November after the September before his 59th birthday so gets his heating allowance for life (unless things change of course!)."

Surely, and AFAIK Heating Allowance is paid when one reaches the 60th birthday, where does the 59th birthday payment  apply?

Sorry, to have confused you, I should originally have said "in the September before your 60th birthday" (ie when you are still 59). This was the qualifying date at that time, although the qualifying date can change. I believe it means that, if you didn't qualify, you cannot ever receive  a heating allowance. Ridiculous really, as I said, it should be paid to everyone who qualifies for a UK State Pension as if they qualify for their pension, then surely they are deemed to have paid their just dues into the system!

My neighbour moved to France in the November, a couple of weeks before his 60th birthday but, because he was still resident in the UK in that September, he qualifies for life (or until things change) for the heating allowance, no matter where he is in the World. Anyway, it can get a lot colder here than in the Uk in Winter and, if we have paid up all our dues, then why shouldn't we receive the heating allowance?

By the way, said neighbour isn't in receipt of his State Pension yet (but receives his heating allowance). I am in receipt of my State Pension but wasn't resident in the Uk on the qualifying date so will never (unless things change) receive the heating allowance!

Fair or unfair, what do you think?

Na....a measly, begrudged heating allowance wouldn't have stopped me from living in France! It's just that it's annoying to think that the UK system is unfair in this regard. Having paid into the UK system enough to qualify for a State Pension why on earth should they do you out of the heating allowance!

If you stop to consider all the points long enough, life might pass you by and then you may look back when it's too late and wish you had.

Why do some people have to trot out political claptrap and inaccuracy at every opportunity?  This is not new and if Gastines had bothered to read the OP before getting his Daily Mail almanac of half truths and historical bowlocks out he might have noticed that this has nothing to do with the Chancellor or Gordon Brown.

Its being raised by a Tory MP and is principally about whether those who live in warm climates all year round like Florida, West Indies, Cayman Islands, South Africa etc, should get winter heating allowance? 

There are two sides to this arguement, as Anna has said if you have paid taxes in the UK and are entitled to it before leaving, why should you not continue to receive it.  The other arguement of course is if you have no heating bills why should you get it?

But then if you're resident in the Uk and receive said heating allowance, nothing to stop you jetting off to some warmer clim for the Winter months....you would still get your heating allowance. It's not means tested so it's only right really that every State pensioner should receive it. Nothing to argue about really.....

Ron - do you really think that, if they do decide to restrict the heating allowance, that the  Government (of whatever persuasion)  will work out who lives in a cold climate during the winter? Not on your nelly!!!! If they did it would take yet another army of civil servants to work it out I am sure.

I agree with Anna.

Having said that such a paltry sum is not going to change my life when (if) I ever get it.

Andy

[quote user="Andyphilpott"]

Ron - do you really think that, if they do decide to restrict the heating allowance, that the  Government (of whatever persuasion)  will work out who lives in a cold climate during the winter? Not on your nelly!!!! If they did it would take yet another army of civil servants to work it out I am sure.

I agree with Anna.

Having said that such a paltry sum is not going to change my life when (if) I ever get it.

Andy

[/quote]

Why are you aiming this at me?  I just pointed out that the actual proposal by the conservatives started out by aiming to stop the payments to those who live abroad and cited as ridiculous payments to those who live in warm countries. The Bahamas, South Africa and W Indies were mentioned as examples.