lloyds tsb transfer charges.

chirpy

Does anyone know the latest charges for economy ,euro and express methods  when having £sterling transferred to euros into a French bank account.?

Last year it  was  £10 for economy transfer taking 4-5 days with a small fee equivalent to £2.20 for the French bank.

thanks.

Can't answer your question except to say that there are many cheaper ways of buyung/transferring € than via Lloyds.

I have just been online with them and see that they are selling @ a miserable 1.271 whilst the brokers such as Hifx are showing (an almost equally miserable [:(]) 1.320

Both rubbish of course but I still I know which one I'd choose [;-)]

ErnieY: when you describe 1.320 as "rubbish", what are you comparing it with? And how can you judge it, anyway, without mentioning the amount it's quoted for?

Here are some rates quoted for selling pounds by an online dealer (4xcurrency) whose site I like because it quotes both buy and sell rates, so you know where you are:

for £1,000: 1.289

for £5,000: 1.306

for £20,000: 1.315

Their implied middle rate at the time of those quotes was 1.321.

Admittedly it's now around 9 a.m. and you posted late last night, so the rates may have moved. But still, 1.320 doesn't look too bad.

[quote user="allanb"]ErnieY: when you describe 1.320 as "rubbish", what are you comparing it with.[/quote]As in 1.320 compared to the fairly stable 1.45/1.50 ish enjoyed through 2004 to the middle of 2007 since when the £ has been in virtual freefall. I call that rubbish, what would you term it  [:)]

[quote user="allanb"]But still, 1.320 doesn't look too bad.[/quote]

Compared to Lloyds 1.271 you're absolutely right but as a general statement I doubt many would concur [:-))]

[quote user="Ab"]

Are the traders reliable and which one/s are recommended and do you sign up on line or initially by post.

I cannot afford to loose a pension transfer.

thanks.

[/quote]

When we signed up with HiFX 18 months ago, I first made an enquiry by phone and spoke to one of their dealers about how the 'System' worked. I then asked for an application form, which was sent by post, but you do have to prove your identity with copies of passports, utility bill those sorts of things, can't quite remember how many now.

I found them very good and my money was in my French bank account on time and with little fuss and no fees plus what I considered a good rate. Rates vary with the amount you transfer, we did 1 spot buy and 1 forward buy , both went very well

It's very much a case a case of  "yer pays yer money and takes yer choice"

Contrary to the Jaqui Too's experience of HiFx (who I have used on several occasions without problems) you will find others here who will relate tales of difficultes with them but thats not to say HiFx are any better or worse than any of the other traders because, as is the case with so many things, you tend to only ever hear the tales of woe when the tuth is for each of those there will undoubtedly hundreds or thousands of routine deals which went without a hitch.

As for setting up with HiFx I seem to recall I did it initially by fax, which was enough to get may first deal going (deposit for the house), then immeditely followed that up with copies by post. I think the most important piece of paper was the application form with my signature on it which was not acceptable any other way. I imagine most of the othrer brokers probably work in a similar fashion.