Unsolicited callers/tradesmen

Last summer we rented our house to a young family for 2 weeks, not something we had done before, but their holiday seemed to be ruined by the number of unsolicited tradesmen that called asking if they wanted the chimney swept, moss removing from the roof, etc. A total of six men called over the fortnight none of which had been "invited" so can only assume some at least were a bit dodgy. From what they told us some were OK and just went away. Others insisted on pushing their service and despite the young couple telling them they were on holiday and that it wasn't their house they asked to come in or leave information for us. Is there anything we can put on our gate, a sign etc. requesting no callers? We had hoped to let the property again this year but have decided against it for this every reason as I can imagine its very annoying with very young children around when large vans come roaring up the drive. Thank you

Sounds like a local infestation of gypsies to me.

A French friend warned me never to use any chimney sweep who just had a mobile number marked on his van; he said they were known to be gypsies. In fact, he said, legitimate chimney sweeps (with real landline numbers) were often plumbers as well - which indeed proved to be the case when I did need one.

I am not sure what you could do to prevent a recurrence. Maybe those signs you see for sale in DIY shops, such as "Défense de Pénétrer", "Propriété Privée", or even "Chien méchant" might help.

As far as con men and gypsys are concerned this link may help. There's lots more info on the subject if you do a search on "tramp or gypsy signs"

http://www.annmarieackermann.com/tramp-signs/

it should slow some down if you say there's a copper lives/owns the place. I first found out about the signs via our Vosins Vigilants groupe. That's something else to join if you can. It's modled directly off the Neighbourhood Watch in the U.K. Ours is very active and when we go away I put a notice on there and everyone in the groupe keeps an eye on the house. We also have get togethers occasionally and people who have been neighbours get to meet each other. It's a fantastic idea and the French are catching up at last.

Just a word in defence of gypsies.....

We used a chimney sweep for about 7 years before we discovered he and his son were gypsies, and have done for about 4 years since the discovery.

They always did/do a good job, cleaned the place up well and of course the price was good. They've also taken down some trees for about a 5th of the cost of the other quotes we had. They were able to play our fears around insurance, but who knows. Again, a good job was done.

If they turn up again this year, we'll use them again. Not all deserve the rep they get.

Note;- I am not a gypsy myself. Other gypsies are available.

TBH john, I'm not sure. They have the necessary paperwork, invoices, certificates and numbers, but anyone can print, can't they.

By the time I'd discovered SIRETs and what it meant we'd already "settled in" with them. We weighed up the risks and decided to carry on.