Splendid Isolation...or not?

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering who on here, lives in a home with zero neighbours in sight. I'd be even more interested to know if you have children. Do you like it? Do you wish you'd bought somewhere in a hameau or similar instead? Any thoughts appreciated Smile

Erica

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isolation is fine................until you need, say, an ambulance!  Not all houses, especially in the countryside, are on Google map.  On a more prosaic level and nothing so dramatic as a medical or other emergency, deliveries of things you have bought could also be a problem.

One of the first things to do is to make sure you can describe where you live to someone on their way to your home!

Of course it depends on your circumstances, but anyone of retirement age would do well to imagine life without a car. This can happen when one of a couple dies and the other is no longer fit to drive. I have known two elderly English ladies who have been killed in car crashes and whom I would have described as people who should have thought twice before getting behind the steering wheel, but who lived in places where there was no other transport.

So sorry to hear about the elderly ladies, Norman. That's terrible.

We're looking at a place that is its own little hamlet, it's a collection of houses and barns. There are no immediate neighbours or any in sight, (apart from a chateau up on the hill which is actually inhabited).

It doesn't bother me, but my husband is wondering whether he'd miss seeing other people around.

As for the children, I'm hoping for playdates for friends after school and then dinner at ours, do they do this in France?

It's quite easy to find so hopefully no issue if there was an emergency and only a few miles outside a town.

Pommier...I need to know more about the nosey man in the field! Sounds very funny! (But maybe not at the time for you!)

I know a couple who are still looking for the ultimate peace...... but nowhere suits. The sea is too noisy, as are the sea birds, and when there is a storm, insupportable!!!! The lack of neighbours is easy in the countryside, only these pesky farmers can end up having fields they tend, and farm animals some of which are stinky and very very noisy.

With kids it could be expensive to get them to school. There is shopping etc.

We looked at two places before buying in a village. One was up in the mountains and the views, well, fantastic and really splendidly beautiful. But several kms from the nearest hameau, and even further from a village. How we would have got kids to school from there, I have no idea. The other remote terrain, was overlooking a lake, but also up a mountain, and very beautiful too......... but practical........ nope.

So we moved to a village, with shops and a school and the college was not that far away in another town. It meant that the kids could see their friends after school and at weekends and during the holidays easily. Personally with kids, I would never move nulle part.

And why anyone of retirement age, does, is beyond me, but that is me and I have a very practical side to my nature. Also, I suppose that I know France and the pitfalls of living nulle part too, knowing people who do.

Thanks for the insight, Idun. I believe there is a bus that ferries the children to and from school from where we are. It's not remote as such, just VERY quiet. We live in a village now and there are buses and people walking dogs passing our house. It's not piccadilly circus, but my husband likes it, although I'm not sure why because he never talks to end of them! We'll see. I know you read my other post about artisans so we may not be able to afford it at this rate anyway! Ha! Thanks again for replying.

Also take account of when the children (you and your husband too) develop local interests, they'll have to be ferried around, picked up and deposited for their various activities.

It's what you want really and depends on how gregarious you are. Plus, it goes without saying, how you relate to each other as a family[I]  It's true that some people can feel lonely and isolated living in a big city and others are perfectly happy on their own, pottering endlessly by themselves.

[quote user="Mint2"]Also take account of when the children (you and your husband too) develop local interests, they'll have to be ferried around, picked up and deposited for their various activities.

It's what you want really and depends on how gregarious you are. Plus, it goes without saying, how you relate to each other as a family[I]  It's true that some people can feel lonely and isolated living in a big city and others are perfectly happy on their own, pottering endlessly by themselves.

[/quote] All very true, Mint. :-)

Is there a tutorial somewhere of how to use this forum as regards to getting rid of all the extra rubbish when quoting a post? (See above). I don't find the format of this site very straightforward...or maybe it's just me...

For me the future re-saleability of a French property would also be an important consideration, in that personal circumstances change and it could be more difficult to sell an isolated property if one needed to move.

With certain exceptions, rural French residential property has been a depreciating asset over the last ten years, not only due to the poor French economy but demographics in that the French population has generally been shifting towards towns and cities.

No one wants to be stuck with property you can’t sell, which is an increasing problem in rural France.

Are there any shops and other amenities where you are considering buying? (I've read your other thread and sympathise).

Even some of the younger members of our walking group echo our ''lovely place, beautiful views, but I wouldn't want to have to get in the car for bread or milk'' when we pass isolated hamlets. Yes, being organised can usually get you over that, but there are times, such as illness etc when the best-laid plans don't work.

How far would your children have to travel to school? Will they need to stay Monday to Friday when they move on to college further away? Hundreds travel to our small town each Monday, home again on Friday; for French people it's just the normal thing to do, of course.

Edit: you've hit on one of the bad points about this forum -really irritating to have loads of gobble-de-gook!

The nosey neighbour was quite funny in a way (although irritating as well!) He was constantly walking round the (empty) fields around our land, peering intently to see what we were doing (renovating the house he'd sold us!), but one notable time he dressed up like the chasseur in Jean de Florette and walked across our land carrying a gun. We had a Doberman at that time and it's amazing how fast elderly French men can run, and how quickly they can get over a bank and hedge!

Hi Erica

I don't live in such a place but I've stayed in some, and I know people in that situation. It's definitely not for us.

I might be less concerned about the practical points if I really wanted to live in the middle of nowhere, but I think if you're living in France - especially with children - then you'd miss all the fun bits (IMO). And your children will find it difficult to find friends if every social occasion involves one set of parents driving for miles, rather than popping round the corner.

I sense you're by no means sure yourself, which is probably a good indication. You'd need a lot of willpower to make it work, and to have a good reason for living out in the sticks. I suppose you could try renting if you really want to give it a go.

One other thing to consider Erica. I think in the other thread you wrote about setting up a Gite. While some people may find a Gite set in splendid isolation attractive, I think you will exclude many potential customers, For many it is hardly a USP.

We live on the edge of the centre of a small commune and while e are literally 30 seconds from the Mairie, we look out over a lot of open countryside. This suits us fine, but I would not want to do it with children having to ferry them to and from events in the next town - 22km round trip - times 2 (once to drop them off, once to pick them up). It would rapidly be an awful lot like commuting - only done in the evenings and at weekends.

We moved to a house in the middle of a village with school, bakers, cafe bar some 20 years ago with our then 2 very young children. The village school worked fine, a short walk away, then the various buses for the next school and college. During that time, over half the "remote" school bus stops were closed, meaning for some children a long walk in the winter dark to find a bus, or constant runs by the parents. Even if you move to splended isolation, you will never keep it unless you own all the land around you for a respectable distance. We have never ever regretted moving into a village, especially with children.

Interesting point about the gite business being too isolated. I guess just because I like it doesn't mean everyone would. I thought that the peace and quiet would be our niche. I've looked at lots of gite websites that according to their booking pages are doing well and lots of them are 'out on a limb' so was reassured that it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

I must admit that with the cost of artisans being so much more than expected, the exchange rate, brexit, (and possible frexit), stories about gites not getting any bookings, I, and my husband especially, are having serious second thoughts about the whole thing. I already have an income, (my writing and illustrating children books), but it isn't good money every year hence wanting a back up plan of gites. I was also planning on starting crafting workshops out of season as I make dolls and toy animals and things too which I sell in my online shop. I was also planning on running weekend workshops for local ladies both french and expats. Writing for children courses were also a possibility. We have a budget of £200'000 which we have saved up over 10 years and from renovating and selling property here in the UK. I really thought it would be enough but it's not looking likely. Ugh. Maybe it's time to knock it all on the head and buy a semi-detached bungalow. *sad face*

My earlier post was written in ignorance of your youth and plans, but do not underestimate the difficulties of attracting local French people unless you are really fluent. The language issue is also one that leads a lot of English speakers to return in the end, since it can be very limiting in terms of having only a narrow circle of people to socialize with.

Wise words from Norman.  Yes, rural French people tend to be conservative in their views and activities.  You could even have excellent French but it would still be hard to persuade them to try out new activities and even harder to prise money out of their tight fists!  I am not trying to be rude to rural French folk, this is half (but only half) in jest.

I know many local French people both in my present area and in the previous one and they have all tended to be resistant to anything not "traditional".

Is the budget you mention just for the renovation or does it have to include the purchase and legal fees and taxes?

If the latter, then I'd say, it is unlikely to be sufficient[:(]

Bearing in mind what you plan to do, I'd also say that you need to be where there are sufficient numbers of  people who will read your publicity materials and be interested in the activities you offer and who live close enough to get to you.

Out in the sticks in splendid isolation does not seem to fit the bill.

But, don't give up altogether, no need to think of a semi-detached bungalow (though I am sure there are lovely ones of those!), but do lots more homework as there are indeed any number of property bargains out there!

Good luck! 

We live 6km from the nearest small town. We can see neighbours but they are not on top of us. To go anywhere we have to drive or cycle,even to buy bread..but we like that.. There is plenty going on in our local town, for kids and adults. It is vibrant and lively and I think there is always a demand for extra curricular activities organised by French and British, and others. Now the 'downside' for some people, especially ALBF, is that we are in the Dordognshire, surrounded by immigrant Brits like ourselves. Some people might hate it, and there are times we do as well, but the plus side is that there is plenty going on, the rural French people are used to the mad schemes of the various Brits and there is a desire to help rather than hinder.. there are plenty of people that have done similar.. So if you want typical, quiet rural France then it isn't that, but if you want a chance to make a living and be accepted then it might be worth giving it a go . (There are plenty of gite complexes for sale, most are booked all summer but you'll pay more for them than in other parts of France. There's not much left to renovate round this way and even if there is, it's rarely cost effective unless you can do the work yourselves)

Some points.

Don't do rural with kids. They will be bored and you will only have to move again at some stage.

Forget about a GIte.....Pointless waste of money. You will never get back the money you invest.

Don't do renovation as it is the most expensive option of buying a house.... well​ unless you know what you are doing....And I don't mean the building work.

Think about other revenue streams if you want to move to France. I think a nice safe house in town is the only way to go when moving to France with kids.

Will you still continue with your work and be working in France, because their are aspects of how much you will actually pick up after your charges from the state that need looking in to.

I have heard some wise words on here over the years and it being said, never get a mortgage to fund such a project as gites.

As you point out your budget does not sound sufficient at the moment.

Just why do you want to move to France. We ended up there because there was skiing and a job. Could have been anywhere. We didn't know France, we didn't speak the language, we were young and just went for it, but it truly could have been anywhere. Personally,  I do not believe it is any more special than many other places could be. And I know I have not lived anywhere else, only England and the french Alpes, but see the good the bad and the ugly in both countries.

And before I forget, as a general rule I hate the french education system. If one's child 'fits', then it works, but I suppose it would for 'normal' children anywhere, deviants, on the other hand and it need not be much that really needs addressing, and it is quite a different story. Some tell me that it has improved a lot, but I still have too many friends in France, who tell me that there are still terrible problems where I used to live at least.

I really appreciate the honest and frank feedback. It all helps me weigh things up. To clarify few things raised I do speak reasonably good French, (A-level) but am very rusty. I'm quite sure I would be quite fluent within a couple of years. My husband doesn't speak a word though...

We are looking in Dordogneshire! We love it there and I felt that my crafting idea would have the best chance of success where there is a concentration of expat ladies who would be interested in getting together with other ladies and taking part in an activity. The week long workshop/holidays, (both crafting and writing/illustrating for children), would be aimed at, well, the rest of the world! I would only want to hold 4 or 5 of these out of season.

Yes, I would continue to work as a children's author/illustrator as I work from home and it doesn't matter where that is. I have looked into taxation for what I do and it "seemed" to work out similar to here in the UK but I am planning on having a French accountant I know to look through my figures and just double check.

Yes, £200'000 is it. It's all we've got and all we'll ever have hence my caution and the hundreds of questions on here.

My husband can do the bulk of the work himself but we're wondering how long that will take.

Why France? I've been visiting France every year since I was a child and adore the Perigord Vert in particular for its landscape, its general vibe, the quietness and space, the weather of course, a more affordable house, we would be mortgage free, the adventure, a life less ordinary...I don't know. My husband had never been before our honey moon in 2002 and he fell head over heels for the area too.

I have heard nothing but good reports, (until today, Idun), of the French schooling system. I have a 9 year old and a four month old baby. However moving my daughter into a french does concern me, obviously. I want my children to be happy.

My husband and I are not concerned about having stacks of friends. We don't tend to be part of a social circle here, we're not unfriendly, don't get me wrong! We're just home bodies who enjoy each others company. We never, ever go out in the evening. Ever.

I don't want to plough £200'000 into a business that is only going to see us earn back 7000 euros a year, (gites) BUT the crafting workshops/holidays, if a success could bring in a lot more on top of that. Plus there is my income from my children's books which would be enough to live on, but I'm keen to have more than one income.

So I don't see the gites as a business that will be our sole income in France, I see it more as a means to affording the lifestyle we want and I would enjoy it. I'm from Northern Ireland, it's my nature to want to look after people! :-D

I'm all ears if anyone else has anything to add to any of the issues above raised. I'm not looking to be convinced it's a good idea to move to France, nor am I going to close my ears to the negative comments. I'm just weighing everything up.

I would back up what idun has to say about the school system.

I worked as a supply teacher for a while so know it from inside (though there are others here who have experience as parents.)

There is a tendency to uniformity, as might be expected in a Republic where all are supposed equal, and very little place for the unusual.

There is an obsession with a very narrow system of 'notes' and little in the way of extra-curricular activity (Sports' teams, choirs, school plays etc)

Occitan schools known as Calendreta  and they can be more imaginative in their methodology, but of course they teach largely in Occitan..

http://calandreta.org/fr/la-confederation-des-calandretas/