Sterling into French account

bellaboo

We have just arranged for a transfer of funds to France from UK and our lovely bank!!!!! has done it in sterling instead of changing it into euros before leaving them.  Will this cause a problem with our bank here (sorry if I sound thick) or will we be met by a lovely charge?

Hi our bank kept doing that and it cost us both end only small amounts though but sorted it now so it just cost me GBP10.00 to send a relay payment. However last month the uk bank didnt send the form off and just filed it by mistake so money didnt get sent to France and my mortgage and bills didnt get paid wasnt aware until I received a letter from the French bank saying I had missed a mortgage payment I was not happy. Im am just waiting to hear whether this has got me a bad name in France or not as not my doing.

• 1 month later...

Hi

You'd probably get a much better euro rate from an online exchange broker such as Hifx or Travelex (especially for considerable sums) rather than using your bank, and they all transfer the money on to your french account without charge.  I'm with Axa Banque and they make no charges for receiving euro funds in this way.  The whole process takes only 3-4 working days.

Graeme

Hi, just thought I would ad my twopennies worth. Had been using one of the top exchange brokers over the last 2 years and found they charged every time to transfer money (£15), that on top of our bank charging us to transfer money to exchange brokers(£16). My own bank, banque populaire told me I could transfer sterling straight from my uk account. We now cut out the middle man and on all transactions have got a better rate of exchange with no charges. I now get charged £19:50 by my bank but still cheaper. Hope this helps.

Steve.

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]

Hi

You'd probably get a much better euro rate from an online exchange broker such as Hifx or Travelex (especially for considerable sums) rather than using your bank, and they all transfer the money on to your french account without charge.  I'm with Axa Banque and they make no charges for receiving euro funds in this way.  The whole process takes only 3-4 working days.

Graeme

[/quote]

This is the way to do it.have been with HIFX for years no problems.

And if you do get a bank charge they will refund you.

And as said 3 to 4 working days bank to bank.