Nationwide Card Readers

cooperlola

My OH and I have both received one each, although he did received his a few weeks before me. I vaguely remember Nationwide saying that all Visa Debit customers should receive their new cards and the readers by May. Think you might need to contact them to see if it has been sent to you and has gone missing in transit. They do say that if you need a replacement there will be a charge but if you've never received it in the first place can't see how they can do this.

Betty

[quote user="cooperlola"]These were introduced a short while ago, for access to Nationwide Internet Banking.  I haven't received one yet and can't do many of the normal operations without it.  Has anybody else out there actually received one yet?[/quote]

Yes, it arrived last week - but it was sent to London and not France, so maybe that is the hold up.  Also maybe they are doing it by surname, I'm near the top of the alphabet, you may be lower down.

The Nationwide online banking site says that, debit card customers should receive their reader by the end of May. I have not received mine yet but can still do all the usual transactions online.

Well, I'm reassured by the fact that others haven't got theirs either, at least, but I have contacted them.  Gosub, I can look at my accounts OK, but cannot do any transfers as it's now insisting that I use the reader - yours may well do the same now, dunno.

Thanks all for responding.[:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Well, I'm reassured by the fact that others haven't got theirs either, at least, but I have contacted them.  Gosub, I can look at my accounts OK, but cannot do any transfers as it's now insisting that I use the reader - yours may well do the same now, dunno.

Thanks all for responding.[:)]

[/quote]

Hi this is the wording on the letter I got this morning:

Improved security for Internet Banking

We're constantly developing our Internet Bank Security to combat the increasingly sophisticated

methods used by today's fraudsters, and one such measure is Card Reader Security.

Card Reader Security uses chip and PINtechnology to provide an extra level of protection when

carrying out certain transactions online. It will also allow us to provide improved services on the

Internet Bank in future. Card Reader Security will replace your Security Questions, although there'll

be no change to the way you sign on to the Internet Bank.

A Card Reader is a device which is battery powered and works independently of your Pc. It doesn't

hold any personal information. Pleasekeep it in a safe place, as you may be charged if you need a

replacement.

What to do next

This improved security measure will start automatically within the next two to three weeks. You'll

be informed when Card Reader Security is live via the Welcome Screen on the Internet Bank. The

Internet Bank will then prompt you to use your FlexAccount Visa debit card and the Card Reader

when you carry out certain transactions online. Pleasenote that you won't be able to proceed with

that transaction unless you use your FlexAccount Visa debit card and Card Reader.

Your Internet Banking terms and conditions have changed and now include a section on use of

the Card Reader. These new conditions can be found via the Sign On page of the Internet Bank at

www.nationwide.co.ukand selecting 'Terms and Conditions'. Pleaseread these conditions as

you'll be bound by them when you use the Card Reader.

We're sure you'll find your new Card Reader easy to use, but if you do have any questions or simply

want to know more, please visit www.nationwide.co.uklsecurity

Yours sincerely

From that I take it that there will be some sort of announcement when it applies to my (each) account! Have you seen one on your account yet?

I have just been on the NW site to have a look and although it tells me that they going to start it doesn't say it has!

Surely they must make sure everyone has got a card reader before they bring this in across the board!

It was quite interesting as I found out that you can use any card reader from any bank at any time all you need is the pin for that card, so really I only need one reader for all banks (not that I have that many bank accounts)[Www]

[quote user="gosub"]I have just tried a transfer between my accounts and it works ok [8-)]
[/quote][8-)] indeed!  My account stubbornly refuses to let me do so.  I can put all the details in but when I press confirm, it leads me to the card reader bit.

I was prompted to use it to pay my Tesco Credit Card bill but I was able to pay my Nationwide Credit Card bill in the normal way, without the card reader.

Coops, it's a nice dinky thingy like a pocket calculator; nice bit of plastic to add to the other bits of plastic that you already have!

Welcome back!

The OH received his 2 weeks ago. I rang NW last week asking when mine would arrive and the reply I got was that the OH had registered on line but I hadn't. I can't remember whether I did or not but I guess he is correct as usually I will use the OH's card when buying over the internet !

[quote user="knee gel"]The OH received his 2 weeks ago. I rang NW last week asking when mine would arrive and the reply I got was that the OH had registered on line but I hadn't. I can't remember whether I did or not but I guess he is correct as usually I will use the OH's card when buying over the internet ![/quote]

Knee gel

I'm not sure I read your post quite right! you only need the card reader when you are paying 3rd parties and maybe other transactions on the NW site its self not when buying on the net, and because it is only needed when doing online banking they probable only send them to the people who are registered to do online banking.[:)]

I still haven't received mine and my surname starts with a C, so perhaps they are not doing it alphabetically. I do my banking with Nationwide via internet too so I would have thought by now it would have been in the post.

Also I wonder if anyone can answer the next question. As I said I have a NW flexaccount card which I had before I left the UK last year. Is it possible to apply for a NW CREDIT card now that I am living in France or would it have had to be done prior to departing the UK???

Thanks

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]

I still haven't received mine and my surname starts with a C, so perhaps they are not doing it alphabetically. I do my banking with Nationwide via internet too so I would have thought by now it would have been in the post.

Also I wonder if anyone can answer the next question. As I said I have a NW flexaccount card which I had before I left the UK last year. Is it possible to apply for a NW CREDIT card now that I am living in France or would it have had to be done prior to departing the UK???

Thanks

tuppence

[/quote]

If you you are  resident in France, then they will not accept the application for a credit card.