Energy-efficient heating systems

sugarfree

Morning all,

I live in an old city-centre apartment with an oil-fired heating system.  The apartment has high ceilings and big, old, clunking radiators (to which I am very attached).  The boiler, which is located down in the basement, is on its last legs and so the time has come to replace it.

I understand that people wishing to sell their properties in France now have to produce some sort of energy effiiciency certificate for their home.

I've considered a few options and at the moment, the choice seems to be as follows:

1. replace the oil-fired boiler in the basement with a new, more efficient one

or

2.  swich to gas and install a gas-fired boiler in the kitchen.

Would either of these solutions be considered by an estate agent to be better than the other as regards the energy efficiency certificate and, more generally, selling my apartment in the future? 

Also, would gas be a suitable form of heating for these big old radiators? 

I would be extremely grateful if anybody has any advice.

Ingrid

In your circumstances I'd almost certainly go for gas. I'm not sure what's available on the French market, but in the UK it's much easier to buy condensing (more efficient) gas boilers than oil ones. The important thing is to look at the quoted efficiency of the boilers that you are considering.

There are national tax incentives, assuming you are tax resident in France, that will pay 25-40% of the cost of a condensing boiler. If you don't have proper controls (room thermostat, etc.) then you can get a similar amount off them. The exact percentage depends on the age of your home and how long you've owned it. The equipment must be installed by the artisan who supplies it.

I can see no reason why a gas boiler shouldn't be able to cope with your old radiators.

Ngrid, I would say that it also depended on your real reason for wanting to change the system  If you are planning to live in your apartment for quite a while longer, and are thinking in the long term about selling much later, then changing your system would be a good idea.  But if the only reason you are considering changing your system is because you want to sell now, and to get a better energy rating,  then I think you would be spending money needlessly. 

A poor energy rating does not oblige the seller to update his system, and the money you would spend on replacing your boiler might not be reflected in the price you could achieve for your apartment afterwards.  Many old houses and apartments (especially stone ones) have terrible energy ratings, but if that is their only fault, and you are asking a reasonable price for your apartment, it may not make too much difference.

When I sold my old stone house last year, the boiler was already at least 40 years old, and very much on its last legs, I had old clunky radiators (very pretty but not very efficient), no insulation and single glazed windows.  I can't remember the exact energy rating, but it was  about as bad as it it gets (F or G I think).  Despite this the house sold very quickly, for the asking price.

Thank you very much, Cathy and Albert, for your replies.

I'm planning to staying in the apartment for another 16 years or so (if not more) so I definitely need to replace the old boiler. 

Am pretty sure now that gas is the best option.

Many thanks once again.

Ingrid