Leasing Vines out

passepartout

Hi, my husband and I live at the moment in W Sussex, we have about 1/2 hectare of vines, at our home in Duras, and need for these tobe tendered, we have been introduced to a young viticulteur who would look after the vines, harvest the grapes etc, he is prepared to pay us Euros 125 a year, not a lot but at least we keep the vines in production. Now here are our 2 questions,firstly, we do not have to produce any tax accounts for france at present as we are living and earning in the Uk, would accepting this offer of 125Euros, mean that we would have to make tax return in France, and if it does would we be better just letting the viticultuer look after them free of charge.

Secondly, he has asked us to sign a letter stating that he is looking after these vines, which we don't have a problem with, BUT what about his use of our land as a living and not being able to reclaim the land as ours when we want, and then having to maybe pay compensation to him. Does anyone get the gist of what i am trying to say here, we read somewhere about letting your land out to locals and ending up having to pay them compensation for loss of earnings.... and now can't find the info. Sorry if this sounds a little dis-jointed, or if you already have answered this.

Much appreciate your words of wisdom....

You would effectively be putting your vines 'en fermage' which means the guy taking care of them has all the expenses (treatments, maintenance of the land etc), keeps the revenue from the grapes or finished product and you in return get a rent.  This site  http://jurisvin.fr is worth checking out and they have an english version.  A 'fermage' agreement is drawn up by a notaire who no doubt will be able to help you.  Hope this helps.