Utilities when selling

Hi all, after 12 very happy years I'm finally selling my maison secondaire - I moved to Deal in Kent to be closer to St-Valery-sur-Somme but am so happy here (Deal) that I'm not using the French house even half as much as I used to. I'm lucky in that friends are buying it, and have said I can still visit!

So, anyway, the sale is proceeding via a local notaire and we hope to sign the Acte at the end of the month. But I suddenly realised I'm going to have to let all the utilities companies know and get them (I assume) to come and do meter readings on the day. And the Mairie of course, and goodness knows who else...

Does anyone have any useful tips about organising this? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

We have recently sold our house and did the following.

Water and electricity.

The new owner and ourselves took the meter reading for the electricity and the water and signed a small document between ourselves of the readings. Then immediately we telephoned the water company and gave them the final reading the final bill arrived about two weeks later. for the electricity we phoned EDF on the english telephone line, gave them the final readings, about two weeks later they took the final amount due plus small charges for the past 3 years from our bank account.

All of the above was very straight forward.

danny.