Taxe d'Habitation

department 24

Hi,

Had the same problem, Taxe Fonciere went to the UK and I initially went to the Hotel des Impots to get it sorted. They in turn phoned my local Tresorie Publique to confirm that they had the original details. I then went to the TP to pay. Either time people were very polite and helpful.

tuppence

If you didn't own the house on 1 January 2008, even if you moved in on the 2nd Jan, then the previous occupant would have to pay the tax d'Habitation for 2008.

As for the Tax Fonciere, if you bought the house during 2008 it is possible that the notaire made an adjustment at the time of purchase (pro-rata for length of time for which you've owned the house in 2008) and took your money at the time of purchase.  This would have been passed onto the seller who should have paid it.

We sold a house on 6 January but were still liable for Tax d'habitation and we also paid the Fonciere as the buyer passed the money to the Notaire who added it to the proceeds of sale.

That is our experience anyway.

[quote user="department 24"]

This is my first year of owning my house in France, however I have still not received a demand for taxe d'habitation or taxe fonciere.

what should I do? [/quote]

Well if I were you I would wait a bit and see what happens. I say this as we don't usually receive our taxe d'hab bill until mid November, to be paid by mid December. Also our French friends would consider that it is the job of the Trésorerie/Les Impôts to sort you out with the correct bill at the correct time, and your job to pay said bill when it arrives, not to go looking for a bill to pay.

Sue

Hi,

We had a similar experience, we bought our house in 2005 and despite a number of attempts to contact all the relevant agencies we waited until 2007 for them to eventually send a bill, one had gone to the old U.K. address. The new occupants had not past it on to us !!! The tresor public were very helpful all the way through our enquires and kept saying it will find you !! Even our Maire said DON'T WORRY !! The tax wil find you ..........easy for him to say when you want to get things like that sorted out as soon as possible, anyway my advice is try to relax and don't worry....it will find you.!!! Just watch out they don't add on overdue charges if it goes on too long. Good luck.

Hi  Dep24,  

Our place is in 24.  We have our Foncieres and d'Habitation bills sent to our UK address. We receive the Fonciere bill around the 7 th of October to be paid by 15 th October. We have not recieved the d'Habitation bill for this year, it ususally comes at about November 15 th. Hope this info is a guide for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My daughter has just received a bill for Tax d'Habitation. She moved into a rented flat with her boyfriend on the 1st August this year. Should they be resposible for the total amount or should the previous occupant be responsible for the previous months? Actually, daughter thought this would be paid by the owner of the flat so this bill has come as a bit of a shock!

Advice, please, much appreciated.

Anna

[quote user="Anna"]

Actually, daughter thought this would be paid by the owner of the flat so this bill has come as a bit of a shock! [/quote]

Renters are responsible for paying the taxe d'habitation; but as your daughter wasn't resident in the flat on 1st Jan 2008 she should not - as far as I am aware - have to pay anything at all this year. We moved into our house on 1st July but  had no taxe d'hab to pay until the following year. We do have to pay for rubbish collection; whereas the taxe foncière is paid by the owner of the property.

This might help.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

I'm am a bit confused here regarding the payment of Tax Fonciere and d'Habitation, could somebody please put me straight.

We moved into our property on 19th September 2008, and like minnie's experience we were advised the tax d'Habitation had been paid by the previous owner, and we also paid an adjustment to the notaire for the remaining Fonciere. Are the bills that are due for payment by 15th December for 2008 or 2009? We have not to date received a bill for either tax, but obviously if the bills are paid retrospectively, then I guess we would not expect to receive our first bills until the end of 2009. At the signing, the notaire advised us whilst smiling, that the relevant authorities would be informed of our existence in France, so is it a case of sitting back and waiting for the tax man to catch up with us?

[quote user="Grecian"]

I'm am a bit confused here regarding the payment of Tax Fonciere and d'Habitation, could somebody please put me straight.

We moved into our property on 19th September 2008, and like minnie's experience we were advised the tax d'Habitation had been paid by the previous owner, and we also paid an adjustment to the notaire for the remaining Fonciere. Are the bills that are due for payment by 15th December for 2008 or 2009? We have not to date received a bill for either tax, but obviously if the bills are paid retrospectively, then I guess we would not expect to receive our first bills until the end of 2009. At the signing, the notaire advised us whilst smiling, that the relevant authorities would be informed of our existence in France, so is it a case of sitting back and waiting for the tax man to catch up with us?

[/quote]

Hi Grecian,

The bills that arrive around now are for the current year, 2008, which should be paid by the occupant on 01/01/08. If you should receive the bill for Tax Fonciere(it does sometimes happen) send it to the previous owner C/O the notaire. You don't have to pay until next autumn.   

Thanks for the reply parsnips, sorry to appear a bit dense here, but if the current bills that people have been receiving recently are for 2008, how would the previous owner have already paid the bill? Or are the bills sent out earlier in 2008, and are now only due now by 15th December?

Well I know what I mean, I hope the above makes some sort of sense.[blink]

We bought our property in the May and agreed with the ex-owner that we'd pro rata the foncieres bill between us when it arrived. 

In the September, the notaire sent me a copy of the fonciere bill which was, as usual, headed up with the name of the ex-owner and the property address, but with his current address as the postal address.  I presume either he or the notaire had informed the tax office of his forwarding address so that the property tax bills could be sent directly to him as he was legally responsible for paying them.