Exchange rate

JohnRoss

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="ErnieY"]Don't know about shut down krusty, in neutral perhaps because time differences mean that worldwide markets are not in complete sync, nevertheless though HiFx has always continued to track through the weekends and record slight movements...

[/quote]

I wonder what it's tracking?  I'm not sure about this, but I think it must depend on which markets each of these services (HiFX, etc) decide to track. 

If my geography is right, when London and Paris close on Friday evening people will still be  trading in Chicago for 5 or 6 more hours on the same date, and when London and Paris are going to bed on Sunday evening, people have already started Monday's trading in Tokyo and Sydney.  (Have I got that the right way round?) So HiFX could report on current actual transactions at 10 p.m. London time, if it wanted to.

Where it would go to get actual rates "throughout the weekend", I don't know.  In Riyadh, for instance, they trade on Saturday and Sunday, but even there people go to bed occasionally. 

[quote user="Clair"]

Britain closer to joining euro than ever before

[/quote]

quote from the text ...."I don't mean this will happen tomorrow, I know that the majority (of British people) are still opposed, but there is a period of consideration underway and the people which matter in Britain are currently thinking about it," the former Portuguese prime minister said.

Barroso pointed to the case of Denmark, another EU state which has so far refused to accept the euro but is now planning another referendum on the single currency. The Danish voted against joining in 2000

I think the key part is ,  if it has to go to a vote of the British public I think they will vote no , even if it is for the good.

[quote user="Bugsy"]1.21 down to 1.17 in one day, As someone whose only source of income is a small NHS pension (paid in france),  this is starting to hurt.....................[/quote]I feel as though it's my fault Bugsy. Someone has heard me say that I'm going to do a transfer and has flushed the £ further down the toilet.

Frustratingly I'm waiting for some money I've moved in the UK to arrive where it needs to be before I can place my deal [:(]

[quote user="Clair"]

Part II: Peter Mandelson facing questions about claim that UK will join euro

[/quote]

"Jose Manuel Barroso, the commission president, said that his

conversations with British politicians persuaded him that "the people

who matter in Britain"
are now thinking about euro membership in the

wake of global economic and financial turmoil".

What an arrogant tw*t, the people that matter are the general populous you f*ck*ng muppet.

I know I shouldn't do it but I've just gone back and checked my NHS pension receipts over the last year or so, talk about gloomy reading. Despite the fact that it is index-linked I'm down about 350€ a month with the worst drop being this month of 47€.

So a message to Mandleson, Darling and Brown and all the other idiots...............if you've got nothing positive to say............S.T.F.U.

Can you get food parcels in France ?..............or does anyone fancy robbing a bank ?

When we bought originally in 2001 it was 1.6775 and I have just looked up Currencies Direct 'deal' where have they gone?  I remember at the time that being old fashioned and then believing in banks why should I allow someone I do not know to xfer a largish sum of money for me to France.

I thought at the time it was better to have a foot in both camps so when we sold our home in 2005 in the UK we bought a property which has been rented since and left really most of our liquid assets in the UK.  Well values of property have dropped by over £40k in three years and equally as with everyone else our joint pension income has been mauled. Our pensions are reviewed on I think it is a RPI (I was going to post RIP) basis in December and with forecasters suggesting a minus RPI then even a nominal increase in pension is not on the horizon.

Last year I budgetted at 1.11 as being the worse scenario.  I wish I could go to sleep and wake up thinking it was all a horrible dream.

"Our pensions are reviewed on I think it is a RPI (I was going to post

RIP) basis in December and with forecasters suggesting a minus RPI then

even a nominal increase in pension is not on the horizon."

I think that the review is in September, and this year there was a  increase in RPI.[:D]

[quote user="Bugsy"] Despite the fact that it is index-linked I'm down about 350€ a month

[/quote]

Cor you`ve got a big un .........NHS pension that is .......your drop is more than my total NHS pension , mind you I do have another company pension which makes life livable ....just .

[quote user="krusty"]

Cor you`ve got a big un .........NHS pension that is .......your drop is more than my total NHS pension , mind you I do have another company pension which makes life livable ....just .

[/quote]

I wish Steve, and it is our sole source of income.

I have a friend in the UK who has just retired (similar salary scale to me) and his pension is over three times what mine is. [:(]