house taxes

valB

We were told today by an Englishman who also lives here that if you are over 60 years you do not have to pay taxes on your house. We have been here for almost three years and have never heard of this before. Does he have the wrong information or have our dreams just come true. 

Hi!

This is not correct - unfortunately people tend to generalise.

- The Taxe d'Habitation is means tested. See here:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F42.xhtml

The Taxe Foncière - here there are even less exceptions:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F3171.xhtml

Now I presume you have made income tax returns - then you do not need to worry - the details for establishing the local tax amounts are taken from the Income tax return and automatically taken into consideration.

Yours,

giantpanda

Save you having to type in those various links...[;-)]

If one of you is over 60, and your joint income is below a 16,444€ threshold, then you will be exempt from tax d'habitation.

If one of you is over 65 but under 75, you will be entitled to 100€ off your tax fonciere.

Once one of you reaches age75, and provided your income remains below the qualifying threshold, you will be exempt from tax fonciere altogether.

These exemptions/discounts are automatically awarded according to the information on your current year's tax declaration and are included in the property tax bills you receive at the end of the year.

Finally, if you don't pay any tax at all, you will be eligible for a grant of up to 200€ towards the purchase of heating oil.

Hi!

If they have an unemployed grandson living with them, then they can claim a tax reduction of Euro 3,2965 ( 2042/page 4/ GI) in 2009 for 2008 , if they do not do a common return, which then would give them 3 parts.

So normally they would not pay any Taxe d'Habitation or redevance audiovisuelle.

Further:

Si vous êtes âgé de plus de 75 ans ou titulaire de l?allocation aux adultes handicapés (article L 815-23 et L815-3 du Code de la sécurité sociale), vous pouvez être exonéré de la taxe foncière de votre résidence

principale .

So if one was over 75, then also no Taxe Foncières.

So all this are special cases.

Yours,

giantpanda

Hi!

If they make 2 tax returns, then they can enter € 3296 ( board and bed ) without any specific  proof ( apart that the grandson is living with them) , but their grandson also has to enter that 2042/page 2/ Box AO

None the less that does not hen have an impact in this case, if they do not pay now.

Yours,

giantpanda

I regret putting on my tax d'habitaion form that I had the option of electric central heating which I have never used. I use wood 100% for heating. It is eco and carbon neutral + cheap.

Because I admitted having an electric back up I pay more tax de Habitation.

Someone help me I am gonna rip it out.

Hi!

If you have the Avis d'Impostion for the corresponding year and fit in ( see hereunder ) you should claim.

NB. The 75 years old, implies in fact 76.

It does not apply if the person was 75 in the course of the year., but only if he was 75 , 1st January.

Yours,

giantpanda