Income and Social Tax Excel Spreadsheet

J_u_l_e_s

Hi.

I've been considering working in France and have spent much time researching what my net income will be after social contributions and income tax. I have read some pay up to 50% of their salary. I needed to know my net income know if this job would allow me to support my financial commitments in the UK as well as live in France.

I spoke to the french employer and he calculated what my net income would be.

I set up an MS Excel spreadsheet and tax data to see if I arrived at the same amount. Which I did.

I can't see how to attach the files. Anyone know if it's possible?

Hi Jules, and welcome to the forum.

It's not possible to attach/post Excel spreadsheets to the forum, but if both you and your French employer arrived at the same figure, you should have a fair idea of what your net income would be.

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do, but you can attach an Excel file to an e-mail, just like any other file.  If the recipient has Excel he will be able to open it and use it (assuming that the versions are compatible).

There are some other spreadsheet programs that claim to be able to read Excel files, but I don't know how well they work.

If you merely want to send him a printout from the spreadsheet so that he can see it (but not play with it) you can "print" it in the form of a PDF file which can also be attached, and can be read with several applications, e.g. Adobe.

if  you  are  employed  then  the  cotisations  are  far  less  than  a  self  employed  person.

your  employer  cannot  tell  you  how  much  income  tax  you will  pay  though  as  there  isn't  really  any  PAYE  in  france.  we 

make  our  own  tax  returns  the  following  year,  in  spring 2010  for  2009,  so  nothing  to  do with  the 

employer.

Reading Cat's reply again I realize that maybe what you want to do is to post your calculation on the forum.

I don't know if this will help, but you can always copy sections of the spreadsheet and paste them into a forum message, although you may have to fiddle with the format to get columns to line up.  Here, for instance, is a section copied from a spreadsheet that I made for the same purpose:

TAX RATES                 limit        band       rate

on the first            5,852      5,852      0.00%

on excess up to        11,673      5,821      5.50%

on excess up to        25,926     14,253     14.00%

on excess up to        69,505     43,579     30.00%

on any further excess                        40.00%