bank charges for transfers

ando

Hi, can anyone give me any idea how much french banks are likely to charge for receiving

Euros transfered through a foreign exchange company into my french account.

I hope to be able to move to france next year and would wish to transfer shall we say

5000 euros every 3 months. I imagine using a foreign exchange company is the most cost effective way

of exchanging my pounds to euros. Any suggestions? Thanks Ando[:D]

Hi Ando -

I do £ to € transfers through a foreign exchange broker. I don't pay a charge to the broker, although, obviously, they make their cut via the rate they set.  I have accounts with three brokers, get quotes from each on the day, then take the best offer.

There is no charge when Credit Agricole receive the funds in Euro.

Good luck with your plans to move.

That's interesting Ame, we are with CA and get charged 2.70 euros avis d'operation.

Using other brokers the bank has charged more on some occasions.

Ando, look at the other current post, I make mention of Thomas exchange global. Fixed price to send the currency £12.50 and a very good rate.

For the sort of sums you mention why not just use a Nationwide debit card to draw what you need/want from a French ATM which you then pay into your French bank A/C. If you have 2 cards you can get £600 of € per day.

It's all we do, interbank rate, no charges - and no hasssle [:D]

I do what you do, Erns, whenever I need funds.

We even managed to buy a second hand car by withdrawing €700 a day (in those heady days when the exchange rate was 1.47) over a fortnight, putting the money in the French account and walking into the showroom with a French cheque.

Oh Happy Days............and I don't think we even appreciated our good fortune fully![:(]

[quote user="teapot"]That's interesting Ame, we are with CA and get charged 2.70 euros avis d'operation.[/quote]

It is as ErnieY says, CA have different charges in their regional banks. I'm with CA Pyrenees Gascogne** who don't charge to receive Euro from the UK brokers I use. 

That said, they have tried to attach a charge a couple of times, which was refunded on request.  Banks, huh?

**Edited to correct CA region name

[quote user="Renaud"]"There is no charge when Credit Agricole receive the funds in Euro." Maybe not from France but from other euroland countries?

They charge a bucketload if they are from Ireland.[/quote]

I can't see why it would be different from Ireland. With the proviso that the CA tariff varies from region to region.

This is from the CA Pyrenees Gascogne tariff booklet:

Virement SEPA : virement en euros entre pays de l'Espace Economique Européen (règlement européen n° 2560/2001), avec IBAN et BIC complet

Virements reçus

Virement SEPA jusqu'à 50 000 euros. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .gratuit

Autres virements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25,00