changing Euros to Pounds

expat paul

I don't imagine there are many French banks who operate with the same largese as UK's Nationwide so I think you are wise to be wary of indiscriminately using a French bank card without knowing beforehand precisely what the cost is going to be [blink]

Nationally M&S and The PO are undoubtedly best for buying € over the counter but whether the reverse is true I couldn't say as I've never done it.

If you were in London say then the best deal would probably be with one of the multitude of money changers who cater for tourists and are competative out of necessity.

Another idea which may or may not be practical for you; if you have a UK bank A/C then why not do a deal with a friend in France who also has one to transfer some £ to your bank and you pay them in €. With such an arrangement you both stand to gain marginally over any formal deal you might do.

Enjoy your trip, after 2 years it might come as a bit of a shock [:D]

[quote user="expat paul"]

I'm going back to the UK next week for the first time in 2 years so I

will need to change some money, where the best place to do the exchange

? I remember a while ago a UK Post Office was recomended is this still

true ?

[/quote]

Using the Post Office is easy, quick and relatively currency friendly if you were buying euros ie £1000 = 1072€ just now. But in your case the picture is not so good 1000€ = £834.17 today; see here for more detail.

Sue

[quote user="expat paul"]

Thanks all, PO it is then. [/quote]

Obviously I explained it very badly ....  I was trying to put you off the PO in your particular case as you will not get many ££s for your euros. On the other hand if you were buying euros you would do quite well.

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="expat paul"]

Thanks all, PO it is then. [/quote]

Obviously I explained it very badly ....  I was trying to put you off the PO in your particular case as you will not get many ££s for your euros. On the other hand if you were buying euros you would do quite well.

Sue

[/quote]

ok sorry I'm a bit slow this morning [:$]