Tax back on wood burner

Llantony

I've heard that it's possible to get substantial tax refunds on the cost of 'green ' items such as wood burning stoves.  Having moved to France permanently now, we want to buy a stove before winter.  We aren't yet tax payers here so would we not get this refund as won't be tax payers till next year?

(Have been over here since early August but not yet sorted with E121 etc as going back to fetch more stuff soon>)

Llantony, I am going to describe my own experience and you will then be able to compare your circs with mine.  Hope this helps.

We came here to live on 01.04.07.  Had a couple of woodburners installed bet May & Nov 07.

Filled in first tax return this year and submitted at the usual time end May.

Had money back for burners from tax authority Aug this year.

It seems to me you need to establish when you are fully resident here.  Only buy the equipment when you are a permanent resident, buy and have it installed by the one firm (this is essential).

Keep original receipts to be sent into tax office when you complete your tax return next year. 

[quote user="Llantony"]

I've heard that it's possible to get substantial tax refunds on the cost of 'green ' items such as wood burning stoves.  Having moved to France permanently now, we want to buy a stove before winter.  We aren't yet tax payers here so would we not get this refund as won't be tax payers till next year?

(Have been over here since early August but not yet sorted with E121 etc as going back to fetch more stuff soon>)

[/quote]

You became taxpayers the day after you moved to France, so provided you meet the conditions for the rebate, you'll qualify.  The fact that you won't be declaring your 2008 tax until May 2009 makes no difference.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="sweet 17"]Keep original receipts to be sent into tax office when you complete your tax return next year.  [/quote]
Keep original receipts ans send copies...
[/quote]

Clair, I can't argue with you as I am sure you know lots more than I do.

But I was told by forum members to send the originals.  Anyway, it doesn't matter because I had my money!

Hip, hip, hooray!

Yes, Weegie, registered artisan and supplier.  For some weird reason, it's got to be the same, person or firm.  Don't ask me why.

I know of a forum member who bought their stove from the same shop as we did and had it fitted by the same artisan as we did.  The shop recommended the same artisan  to us both but the forum member did not get their credit impot because they had 2 invoices.

After their experience, we were careful to get only the one invoice and we had our credit no problem.

And yes, the percentage is 50% minus (I think) the TVA.  But, we were still very happy as we would have installed the same appliances even without the credit impot.

We had a free standing stove and an insert installed.  The stove came from a supplier who did not do installation.  The insert was supplied by the chap who installed both.

Two invoices submitted, received 50% tax credit on both.

I think it depends on your tax office.  Apparently some will allow a rebate on the accessories required for the installation too, some only allow the actual stove.

• 7 months later...
We bought a wood burner last year, one of the best investments we have made. The fire was supplied and installed by an artisan, so no problem there.  What is the procedure for claiming the tax credit? Do you just include the facture with your tax form or is there somewhere on the form that needs to be completed. My French is not great but I really can't see any obvious place to put those details? Very grateful for any advice.

Thank you very much for your help. As is nearly always the case, it seems very obvious, now I know where to look. Did you enter the total cost of the facture and leave them to decide how much you would get or were you more scientific than that.

I think I put down the cost of all the materials and they credited me with something just a bit less than half the cost of the appliances (but without taking into account the flues and other fittings)

At the time, I thought that perhaps they deducted the TVA before crediting me with 50% but I was very happy with whatever it was.

Not only that, theycheque followed hot on the heels of the Avis.

Edit:  couldn't physically change the message for some reason.  When I said "without taking into account....", I meant that nothing was allowed for all the supplementary materials.