Data protection and European directive!

milkeybar kid

No before you ask, I have nothing to hide(but feel very uncomfortable with my personal , sensitive details sent in this manner attached to a tax form) but can I play devils advocate - indulge please!.

As regards disclosing details of bank accounts on tax form for anyone to see - does it not break the European data protection law.

Yes the tax office have a right to request in person this information one to one .I am sure in the small print I have agreed as we all will have done with the banks that details are not given to a third person.

My other thoughts “a fine of 1,500 for each account for not stating bank account info” – in my other life!! I had an interest in European directives (don’t ask) but somewhere in my mind I recall a directive that states before a fine (for eg: not sending documents of bank accounts, only added to form in 2007 ) can be imposed it would have to be proven that the said request for information was in that persons mother tongue – there were 5 languages that such a document (eg; Income tax) had to be available in I know one of them was English, German, Spanish – so my conclusion is - I am sure they can not fine you for not declaring these highly sensitive details. Reason is simple, because they are not in English .

Ron, don’t shout please. Hubby said I was extremely brave to write this, I am driving him nuts!.

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]No before you ask, I have nothing to hide(but feel very uncomfortable with my personal , sensitive details sent in this manner attached to a tax form) but can I play devils advocate - indulge please!.

As regards disclosing details of bank accounts on tax form for anyone to see - does it not break the European data protection law.

Yes the tax office have a right to request in person this information one to one .I am sure in the small print I have agreed as we all will have done with the banks that details are not given to a third person.

My other thoughts “a fine of 1,500 for each account for not stating bank account info” – in my other life!! I had an interest in European directives (don’t ask) but somewhere in my mind I recall a directive that states before a fine (for eg: not sending documents of bank accounts, only added to form in 2007 ) can be imposed it would have to be proven that the said request for information was in that persons mother tongue – there were 5 languages that such a document (eg; Income tax) had to be available in I know one of them was English, German, Spanish – so my conclusion is - I am sure they can not fine you for not declaring these highly sensitive details. Reason is simple, because they are not in English .

Ron, don’t shout please. Hubby said I was extremely brave to write this, I am driving him nuts!.[/quote]

Hi,

The points you raise are interesting ,but the problem is this: since 2007 the british and french tax authorities have been routinely exchanging information on interest paid in their jurisdictions to people with addresses in the other jurisdiction. This means that what you put on your declaration just confirms what they may already know. However if you do not declare ,they will, in the first instance write to you suggesting that you may have omitted to declare something,and inviting you to correct this (without penalty), if you still do not declare (for the valid-sounding reasons you quote) they may well decide to impose penalties. Your arguments seem quite plausible to me, but the authorities would not give up easily, as they would see any weakness on their part as opening the door to what they see as fraud involving the hated "paradis fiscaux".

You would need to be prepared for several years of costly litigation.   Is it really worth it? I know this may sound a bit spineless , but I expect you, like me came to France for a quiet life.