Secret to selling a house in France

Congratulations, Angela!

And well done to you too, Wooly!

However much you care about "prized possessions", they are only just that, possessions.  I am sure your logical self will step in, Angela, and you will be pleased that the young buyers will enjoy and treasure them for many years to come.

We are packing like mad and one of the worst places for me is my workshop. Because we will have to wait possibly up until December for the cash in our mits I don't want to pack owt I will need. I've just finished 11 small dishes in leylandii and merusier (wild cherry, not too sure of the spelling?) so that is some out of the way. They will be small gifts for friends and neighbours.

We are having a break at the beginning of Sept and stopping in a brewery for a few daze in Bury St Ed, the Old Cannon to be more accurate. So that should hepl [B][B][6]

I tend to be a squirrel and do not like throwing things away, so that makes it harder!

Good luck to you with your moving out. I have just delted a load of things off of Le Bon Coin that weren't moving, but they will be going back on in a few days. A lot was sold via there, but the scam emails/texts/calls are a bleedin nuisance! Texts such as 'I am interested in your trucque, but I am out of the country at the mo. Please email me on XXX' Oh yeh? Stuff off!

The joys of moving I suppose?

Interesting point about the housing market; the agent used by Oiseau said that the market was 'fou'. She seems to be selling quite a lot to locals who may feel that prices have bottomed out, as well as incomers retiring, I guess.

There must be regional variations I guess, plus, as Oiseau says, price ceilings.

We are looking for an investment property where we live and there is nothing really about. Go back 6 months and there were loads for sale. I guess they have all been sold. But this is in town. I have no idea what it is like in the rural parts.

In the suburb of Paris where we have just left, immobilliers were advertising to 'find' properties to sell. It is mad there.

French mortgages are very low at the moment. I think the market is quite buoyant but house prices are still very high. Well in fact to high. They still need to come down.

ALBF wrote,

We are looking for an investment property where we live and there is nothing really about. Go back 6 months and there were loads for sale. I guess they have all been sold. But this is in town. I have no idea what it is like in the rural parts.

In the suburb of Paris where we have just left, immobilliers were advertising to 'find' properties to sell. It is mad there.

French mortgages are very low at the moment. I think the market is quite buoyant but house prices are still very high. Well in fact to high. They still need to come down.

But surely if you are saying they are all sold and the agents are having to advertise for more stock, then prices needs to go up, not down.

They only need to go down if they do not sell!!

@eybaynut

You would think so wouldn't you.

With respect to renovation costs, salaries etc, I think houses & flats are very expensive. But I think a lot of negotiation goes on.

It is the cost of borrowing that is making the market move. It is very cheap at the moment but it is expected to go up so I guess everyone is rushing to buy. The reduced cost of the loan over 20 years will negate any expenditure you need to make on the the house.