Nationwide Limit

Paul King

Hello Everyone,

I know that this has been discussed before but I'm wondering if someone would kindly clarify the precise details.

What is the daily or periodic limit that can be used on a Nationwide Account when in France?  Last week we used the card to buy petrol and grocery at different outlets on consecutive days and were then refused a third transation on day three.  Is the limit a daily one or is it within a 24 hour period, or is it a maximum amount when cleared by Visa when it reaches Nationwide back in the UK?

Additionally, once the limit is reached - how long is it before you can use it again?

Many thanks

Paul.

AFAIK, there isn't a limit per se on retail transactions, although there probably is a stage at which a series of high value items in an unusual location would arouse their suspicion.  The most likely (and most common) explanation is a coms link problem.  You may well have found that an hour later, it would hve worked.  There is a £300 (IIRC) limit on cash withdrawals though.

Did they try to use your card or did they say no as soon as they saw it ? As I have had debit/visa cards deigned at shops before for no reason( not even run through the card checker)  but they except normal visa cards or my french one OK

I have had problems in a shop where they were about to refuse my Nationwide card because they were confused when the machine asked which language to use.

Not having seen this before they were about to revert to the default "Pas possible" but once I had explained shown them what to do ,everything was OK.

Hi,

The card reader refused the transaction - saying insufficient funds (which wasn't true as there was a large amount of cash in the account at the time).

Many thanks for your help, I guess the only solution is to carry more than one card.

Best Regards

Paul.

We have had our Nationwide card refused in France with the same 'insufficient funds' message - again when we knew there were more than sufficient funds.  We assumed it was just a glitch with the card reader and used our carte bleue instead.  We've also had shops refusing to accept it because it's a 'foreign card'.

We have recently had a Flex account cash withdrawal refused (in Canada) and there was plenty of cash in  the account.  I telephoned nationwide to complain and was told the visa system was experiencing problems and they had not blocked it. Person said to try the following day, which we did and no problem.  Try telephoning nationwide to ask whether they actually blocked anything - they can tell.

It seems as though the "message" you get on machines is actually not always accurate.

• 3 months later...

My SIL and friend will be visiting next week. She was going to get euros from her local Post Office but she has a Nationwide card so I have advised her to use her card here for cash.

Will her UK daily limit apply here or is there some other limit which will apply? I know that with our French card there is a weekly limit which is quite low.

The message at the ATM seems to read Insufficient Funds whatever the reason is for not giving you money.

We find that 350euros seems to be the maximum you can get from the machine without getting this message.

Mind you, we have a card each and can both make a 350 transaction on the same day if necessary.

[quote user="brianagain"][quote user="BJSLIV"]

once I had explained shown them what to do ,everything was OK.

[/quote]

What is the procedure please ? (other than requesting the cashier to pouvez-vous changer la langue s'il vous plait)

Thanks

Brian (again)
[/quote]

Never had a problem with a cashier and the language showing with a UK card. I just select the first option which is 'Fr'.

As for Nationwide I have found that if you try to draw euros that will be more than 300 GBP then it will not allow it but then decrease the amount slightly and it goes through. Do not know if a connection is made to the Nationwide computers of whether there is a limit built in to the chip on the card.

Paul

I came across the 'insufficient funds' message last year when the pound started to fall off the edge of a cliff. Having been used to getting 400 euros from a hole in the wall, I was surprised early in 2008 when the message 'insufficient funds' appeared as I knew that this could not be. Checking the exchange rate a few hours later and I realised that 400 euros was no longer possible for £300, nothing to do with insufficient funds (unless the message was meant for the BoE!!)

I think many of us who tend to rely on withdrawals from Nationwide at ATMs in France had a similar problem starting last year when the pound went pear-shaped. We would drop our request by a small amount each time, and finally ended up withdrawing only 300euros when funds were needed, which equates to when the rare was almost at parity. It has recovered to a certain extent, but we still withdraw only 300 euros when cash runs low. Those who live some distance from an ATM will want to withdraw the maximum they can, but as we pass banks daily on our 5-minute walk into our little town it's no problem. But it was a bit of a worry when we kept failing to withdraw money over the last few months.

Jo

With the recent modest revival in the fortunes of the £ you can currently get €350, or €700 in the case of two cards.

My last 2 withdrawals of €350 came out at £296 but oh for the days when £300 would have got me €430 or so [:(]