selling property

just a really quick question, we have put a French apartment on the market with a French agency, will we have to pay a notaire again as well as the agency fees when we sell? All the books I have tell you about buying, but not much about how to sell.

no, the buyer pays the notaire but be prepared for a buyer to try to negotiate and ask you to split the fee so that they can buy your property cheaper. It's a common request now, and quite legal to ask, but if they don't ask then don't offer!

[quote user="nectarine"]no, the buyer pays the notaire but be prepared for a buyer to try to negotiate and ask you to split the fee so that they can buy your property cheaper. It's a common request now, and quite legal to ask, but if they don't ask then don't offer![/quote]

Fairly insulting posting to a very simple and straightforward question.

To insinuate that Maggie isn't aware that she may have to negotiate on her asking price. Whether or not this is a straight reduction in the price, getting the agency to reduce their commission and reducing the selling price indirectly, throwing in some furniture or even asking for a reduction in price as a contribution towards the Notaires' fees doesn't alter the fact that the buyer pays. End of. Period.

Yes but......

If the seller is liable for capital gains tax doesn't he/she have to pay that? Arranged by the notaire and deducted from the sale price.

The seller also has to pay for checks on lead, asbestos, parasites etc tests plus electric wiring checks and a fosse report. Which all end up as reports on the Acte de Vente.

I believe there is also a temporary retention of funds if the seller is leaving France, to cover any unexpected expenses.

So there are less obvious legal costs for the seller.

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="nectarine"]no, the buyer pays the notaire but be prepared for a buyer to try to negotiate and ask you to split the fee so that they can buy your property cheaper. It's a common request now, and quite legal to ask, but if they don't ask then don't offer![/quote]

To insinuate that Maggie isn't aware that she may have to negotiate on her asking price. Whether or not this is a straight reduction in the price, getting the agency to reduce their commission and reducing the selling price indirectly, throwing in some furniture or even asking for a reduction in price as a contribution towards the Notaires' fees doesn't alter the fact that the buyer pays. End of. Period.

[/quote]

That was a bit strong wasnt it Benjamin?

I read neither insult nor insinuation, and as for "the fact that the buyer pays, End of, Period, did Nectarine not say exactly that but in less forcefull language?

Your posting may result in Nectarine or others think twice before responding to a posting asking for information.

[quote user="Benjamin"]

[/quote]

[Www] maybe it's the hot weather?  I didn't read anything wrong with Nectarine's reply [:$]

Benjamin.

Might I politely suggest that given the timings of the postings, when Nectarine wrote "No the buyer pays the notaire..........." she was replying to the OP's question not responding to your posting made at the same time saying exactly the same thing.

[quote user="J.areRs gone native"]

Benjamin.

Might I politely suggest that given the timings of the postings, when Nectarine wrote "No the buyer pays the notaire..........." she was replying to the OP's question not responding to your posting made at the same time saying exactly the same thing.

[/quote] JR may I politely suggest that you don't know what you are talking about, the posts were 20 minutes apart.  Why not let Nectarine speak for herself, she had enough to say about the BNP without your help[blink]

Back to the thread, If its a second home you have to pay nearly 1 % of selling (price and doesn't relate to the difference in price from what you bought it for to what you sell it for) to have you capital gains calculated, and not everything that you think is deductible is, it really caught us out last year dearly to our cost as we found out after we had accepted an offer.

[quote user="Babbles"] If its a second home you have to pay nearly 1 % of selling (price and doesn't relate to the difference in price from what you bought it for to what you sell it for) to have you capital gains calculated,[/quote]

Put your figures together, take them down the Trésorerie, get them to agree the figures and then show them to the Notaire. Nothing to pay. The charge that you suffered is merely an insurance premium protecting the Notaire.

[quote user="Ron Avery"][quote user="J.areRs gone native"]

Benjamin.

[/quote] JR may I politely suggest that you don't know what you are talking about, the posts were 20 minutes apart.  Why not let Nectarine speak for herself, she had enough to say about the BNP without your help[blink][/quote]

Peace be with you Ron [kiss]

J.areRs gone native

• 3 weeks later...